Working Moms

Seperation Anxiety?

Reposting from 6-12 months

DD's been fussy the last week or so. Then Monday she figured out how to crawl and she was instantly happy so we guessed she was just bored and frustrated with that, but back to happy baby right? Wrong. When we went to put her to bed that night she cried worse then she ever has before. We ferbered before, so we let her cry but she got so bad (we're talking screaming gasping for breath in no time!) I had to hold her until she relaxed then lay her down and stand by the crib until she started to fall asleep.

It's not just us she's doing this with. When my mom was watching her she did the same thing at nap time, but she doesnt cry when I leave for work in the morning. Does this sound like seperation anxiety?

I know there are also sleep problems related to learning new skills (the crawling) but I thought that was more waking up in the middle of the night. She sleeps great as usual once we get her down, and she even woke up babbling to herself at one point and went back to sleep on her own. Will referberizing even work in this situation or do we just have to wait it out? She's also starting to get fussy if we leave her to play alone for more then a minute or two? Any tips on getting through this phase?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Seperation Anxiety?

• I have heard that at this age (from friends), it is normal to not want to go to bed right away, to the point of screaming and getting very angry. They have told me that they just peek in the room every 5-10 minutes, and say "it's OK, I'm still here", maybe even rub her back, then they leave. They told me NOT to hold baby until she goes to sleep, or take her out of the crib. They are firm in letting her learn how to self-soothe, and that she does not get to leave her crib or get held by Mommy and Daddy as she falls asleep. They have told me that it is heartwrenching, but after a few days, baby learns and is able to sleep right away, and they were so relieved because they could have time for each other as a couple. So, no, it's not separation anxiety, it's a normal developmental stage that you have to get through.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"