Working Moms

Daycare issue, please help!

I called daycare today to ask a question. At the end of the conversation I asked the lead teacher how my DD was doing. The teacher said, "She's sleeping right now. She was cranky when we put her in her crib and then she fell asleep in 5 minutes." I verified that they were putting her in her crib drowsy. I am fine with that, but I am curious about "cranky." If she is just fussing, fine. But, if she is screaming, I am so NOT ok with that. I feel like there is no way to know for sure. What can I do? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Daycare issue, please help!

• Not much... babies get cranky sometimes.   You just have to trust them.
  • dpdwdpdw member
    You should ask them directly if "cranky" means screaming or "fussing", but remember that a daycare provider's opinion of "fussing" may not equal a first-time mom's opinion of "fussing" so be as clear as you need to be with your question.  Then you have to trust that they are telling you the truth.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am aware that babies get cranky sometimes--mine certainly does. We don't put her down drowsy so I don't know how she would react if she was. I am concerned that she is laying in her crib screaming and they are calling it "cranky."

• E CE C member

You need to ask when you pick her up.

Do you have a reason to think they're letting her scream?  Or is it simply that you just don't know?  Did you ask about their policy on letting kids CIO for naps before you started there?

• I think they would have said crying if they meant crying.
  • I know daycare is hard, and believe me, I would have had the same feelings when my son first started attending.  But I think you just need to trust the teachers (unless you have reason not to trust them).  IMO cranky does not mean screaming.  But you can definitely confirm with them how they put her down for a nap.  Also, keep in mind that DC naps are much different than naps at home. 
  • You should just ask them and tell them you're not okay with her screaming.  But ultimately it comes down to whether you trust them or not, since you can't know for sure what happens there every second.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'd let it go. I think they would have told you if she was screaming and crying. Cranky just means she probably fussed for a little bit and went to sleep.

• Ditto PP about asking for clarification of cranky vs screaming/crying.

Something to keep in mind is that they probably wouldn't let her CIO due to risk of waking other children.

Married June '03. DS born Jan '09. DD born Feb '12. No, we didn't choose to be childless for the first 6 years, only the first 3.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"