Two Under 2

Baby #2 due in 8 weeks. Feeling completely overwhelmed.

Disclaimer: please know that I am 100% aware of how lucky I am to be pregnant again. I realize so, so many women would give anything to be in my shoes....

That being said, I am completely overwhelmed.  I was nailed by severe PPD when DS was born.  It was bad.  It took months for me to feel better - and I can tell that alot of those same feelings are coming back :(  I hate feeling so much anxiety, sadness, fear, etc...all of these feelings make me feel like less of a Mother. 

While I know that having a newborn and an active one year old will be no walk in the park, I also want to be able to enjoy that time as much as possible - and I'm afraid I won't be able to because of the damn dark cloud that seems to be above me at all times these days.  I am contemplating taking some anti-depressants now so that I won't feel so completely overwhelmed when baby #2 arrives.  I'm just terrified that there is a risk involved in taking anti-depressants while being pregnant.  Does anyone know of one that is safe to take?   

I would love any advice/suggestions from fellow Moms who have been in my shoes.  Thanks for 'listening'.

Re: Baby #2 due in 8 weeks. Feeling completely overwhelmed.

• First, I recomend you talk to your doctor.  Find out if there are any safe meds out there.  It is actually wonderful that you can identify the signs. 

Also, talk to DH.  He needs to know how much you need him and his support both emotional and physical. 

Then, recruit family and friends.  You dont have to be specific about your PPD or anything.  Just casually ask if they can stop by and help you out the first few weeks.  Even a 15 minute visit is wonderful and can totally help you feel better.  I found the hardest times were at night so having a friend that can visit in the evenings is wonderful IMO. 

One more thing...make time to get out.  Go grocery shopping alone and dont feel guilty for wanting some time away from your babies. 

• I'm sure you already know this but I'll say it anyways...you should ask your doctor BEFORE you take anything like that!!!  

I'm sorry you are dealing with a dark cloud though.  Maybe if you are unable to take something now, while you are pregnant, you could try something more natural.  Try thinking of only the positive.  When you start to think negative thoughts just go out in the sunshine and play with your LO.  I've never dealt with ppd but lately I've had some weird anger issues (only at work)...I've dealt with them wonderfully by just adverting my attention to something more positive...it has totally worked (and let me tell you...the anger was BBBAAAAADDD!!). 

I wish you good luck, bright sunshine and happy thoughts!!

HTH.  Big Smile

• Loading the player...
  • When I was pregnant with #2, I was feeling the same way.  I talked to my Dr, and she suggest starting anti-depressants in my 3rd trimester.  Make an appointment right away!  GL to you, and I hope you feel better soon.
  • Hi there... Looks like our babies are about the same time apart. I dealt with PPD after the birth of #1 and have been on an antidepressant ever since (Zoloft). I take a very low dose but IT HELPS. I tried to get off it and did for two to three weeks during pregnancy #2 but I had to start taking it again. I too am getting overwhelmed with the thought of baby #2 but I have found that just writing things down (I'm a big list maker!) helps me. Then just DOING things... setting up all the logistical things (changing areas upstairs and down), pack and play in the master bedroom, organizing baby #2's clothes, etc. -- all that really helps me calm down a bit. I'm also finalizing help for after baby gets here. That really helps settle my mind! I had a tough time with #1 letting people know I needed some help. I don't think many people (besides DH) understood exactly how terrible I felt.... and probably never will unless they go through it.

If you ever want to page me, I'm usually on the Austin Babies board. 

Take care of yourself!! Talk to your OB NOW about getting on an antidepressant. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You are not alone, I could have written your post, except I am due in 10 weeks...I moved a long way from family a few months ago and am having a really hard time, I feel so lonely even though I am part of a great mom's group in my new town and I have made some good friends.  I was treated for PPD after DS and I actually felt a lot better after treatment and weaned successfully from my antidepressant before I got PG this time, the last 2 weeks I have been really blue and have had sadness/ been crying here and there and already feeling overwhelmed before #2 gets here.  One of my biggest fears was the return of PPD w/#2 but now it seems like it is starting before she even gets here.

I will be talking to my OB about it on Friday when I have my appt, but just wanted to let you know you are not alone. 

• I'm totally in the same boat.  I plan to be hyper-aware of how I am feeling after New Baby arrives, and will head straight to the doctor if any of the bad feelings come back.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"