Special Needs
Options

13 month old not pointing??

Hello.  I know many books say by 12 months and I cannot recall when my first son did it but my 13 month old is not yet pointing (he is also behind on gross motor due to a weak core).  So any suggestions on how to teach this?

Thanks!

Re: 13 month old not pointing??

• Options

Simply hold their hand in the pointing position and start with a book. Farm animal book may be good, and just hold your ds hand in the pointing motion and have him touch the cow and tell him "cow."

Or if he wants something, for example milk, encourage pointing to the milk before you give it to him. It takes practice, but you have to be consistent.

My ds use to just grunt and point when he wanted something, but to encourage language he has to verbally ask for it before we give it to him. We may have to prompt him and have him repeat, but eventually they catch on.

But, it is something to keep an eye on and talk to your doctor about if your personal attempts don't work.  

• Options
    I remeber my son didn't point till he was over 1 yr. old.  I remember mentioning it to the pedi and she was not too concerned and said give it a little time.  Sure enough he started to point.  I would think if your little one is hitting all the other milestones that it is probably just one of those things that he will eventually get. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    does your DC follow your point?  that is amother early social communication piece to look for.  Does your child have joint attention, so if you are interested in a toy and talk about it, will the child?  in order to talk about something we both should be attending to it, pointing is an earrly way to get someone to attend to the same thing as you.
    Chrissy BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"