LGBT Parenting
Options

peanut butter-asthma link?

I was googling yesterday to see what the current word is on whether or not eating peanut butter while pregnant causes peanut allergies in the child, and came across some articles linking regular peanut butter consumption with increased risk of asthma in the child. Has anyone heard anything about this?

I have been eating (and probably would have continued to eat, if I hadn't seen this) peanut butter at least twice and generally three times a day. I would have had no idea I was potentially putting my child at risk! The fact that it causes asthma is particularly worrisome, as I am severely asthmatic (controlled only with Category C daily meds, which is a whole other issue!).

Here are some links, in case anyone is curious:
https://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20080714/nutty-diet-in-pregnancy-asthma-risk
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/114901.php 

married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure

Re: peanut butter-asthma link?

• Options

I would take that study with a grain of salt. It is one study - and even the authors said that it is too early to recommend avoidance of PB in pregnant women.  Talk with your OB or RE about it to make you feel better.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree with PP- talk to your OB- especially since you have asthma- but the studies I read were mainly about allergies to peanuts..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was thinking about PB tonight...I have had zero desire to eat PB pretty much since the day I got the BFP.  I was worried my baby might develop an allergy because he hasn't been exposed to it much (I have had a tiny bit on two occassions). 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"