Special Needs

Experiences with day care and/or public school

hey guys! I am a fellow bumper,but I have not been on in a while! I was wondering if you could help me with some information for a research paper! I am researching the experiences parents of special needs children have with day care/ and or public school. If you guys could let me know of your experiences it would be really appreciated!!!! You can email me at cowgalmom@yahoo.com or just reply to this post! I do not need any information about the school or you just about how the school handles your special needs child. Thanks again guys!

Re: Experiences with day care and/or public school

• My son, age 3, has Autism and attends a mainstream preschool 3 full days a week. He is pretty high-functioning and the one special needs preschool in our county (we live in a rural area but we work in a big city) does not have any typical children in its classroom, which was highly reccomended by our developmental pediatrician.

His preschool is on a university campus and he has an ABA aide/therapist that attend with him 2 hours each of the days he is there. The two days that ds does not attend, he actually still goes for 2 hours in the morning there and uses an extra classroom for one-on-one ABA therapy. We also use that classroom for our team therapist meetings with the ABA program supervisor and consultant every other week.

The teachers are very communicative with me and the therapists. His teachers are working with us to meet his various goals and do provide extra assistance to him as needed. DS loves his teachers and is starting to interact more everyday with his classmates (he knows every single one of their names and talks about them at home).   

Our ABA Program Supervisor, who travels accross several states and has hundreds of clients, along with all of our therapists, has found our ds preschool to be top notch and extraordinary compared to any others they have seen. And they are very impressed with all that they do for our ds. Which affirms to us, he is in the best place right now.

It also doesn't hurt that he is just two blocks from my office and his younger sister attends there as well. Let me know if you need any other information.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"