Birth Stories

waterbirth or hypnobirthing classes

Has anyone done a waterbirth and would want to share some info with me? I'm planning to do a waterbirth at the Women's Birth and Wellness Center in Chapel Hill, NC. I'm also signed up for hypnobirthing classes and would like to talk to some one that has used that method. Any advice or info would be great!!!

Re: waterbirth or hypnobirthing classes

• We did hypnobirthing, and it was amazing.  I cannot say enough good things about it.  I bought the book and read it on my own before the class, so I had a good idea of where the classes were going.  The classes were still 100% necessary, though, because I don't think I would have really "gotten it" just from the book and the CD that comes with the book.  DH and I took a private class that was four 2-hour sessions.  Our instructor had some great CDs that we used as well, and she gave us a copy of the Rainbow Relaxation.  I did some kind of exercise or affirmation every day, and kegels and massage near the end.  I think it's very important to diligently to the exercises.

My birth experience was amazing!  I wouldn't have changed a thing.  I went into labor at 3:30 in the morning, but DH and I weren't really sure if it was the real thing until about noon.  (I was 37 weeks.)  Even by noon, we weren't really sure that I was very far along.  I was having a lot of contractions, but they were completely manageable.  It was really intense but not what I would describe as "painful."  We called the midwife, and she also didn't think I was very far long since we were so calm.  The hospital was 30 miles away, though, so we went.  The drive was pretty hard, but I listened to the CDs and really focused and did fine.  We got to the hospital at 1:00 and were totally shocked to find out I was 9 cm.  The nurses were shocked, too!  It was really intense -- I had trouble getting the hospital gown on and was breathing and focusing, but it was all manageable, nothing at all like you see in the movies.  The MW and the nurses kept the room dark and the relaxation CD we brought on.  My water broke at 1:45, and I started pushing about 2.  DS was born at 3:30 pm.  I never even thought about drugs -- and there wasn't time anyway!  I had no tearing at all.  It was the most incredible experience of my life.  It went just as I had envisioned it.

If you have any questions, pm me.  I'd be happy to tell you more about it.

I didn't do water birth, but I may next time.

• I can't figure out how to private message but I would love to talk to you more! I'm very excited to find some one that has used this method. Apparently it is farly new and not used much, but was highly recommended to me by my yoga instructor.
  • Loading the player...
  • Under my post, there's a button on the right for "contact" just down from "reply" and "quote."  You can send private messages like that.  I'll send you one, too, just to be sure.

• I plan to do a waterbirth at our birthing center. Our midwife highly recommends hypnobirthing classes. I don't really know too much about it, but am anxious to learn more. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm planning on doing a waterbirth with my frist in December, and participating in the study my local hospital has ongoing. 

But from the sounds of your birth experience, I think i may look into combinig the hypnobirthing :)

• Thanks so much for this post.  I've been very curious on this topic myself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you for posting this.  We're planning a waterbirth, and I was thinking about getting into Hypno.  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"