Birth Stories

My induction birth story- long

So the due date was July 7th but I had zero progress so my Dr. scheduled my induction to start the 12th at 8pm.

We went to the hospital that night and I was started on Cytotec which is a small pill (about a third a grain of rice) that is supposed to ripen the cervix. They started an IV and hooked me up to the contraction and heart rate monitors. It turned out I was already having contractions and just couldn't feel them. So DH popped in Wedding Crashers on the DVD player and we just watched the movie and then went to sleep. When I say sleep, I mean waking up every hour to pee (thanks to the IV) and having to unplug numerous cords and drag the IV stand into the bathroom with me every time.

By 6 am I had a horrible headache from the AC in the room and "sleeping" in a wierd position all night. The nurse checked me and said I was 50% effaced and maybe 1 cm dilated so she inserted another cytotec. About an hour later my headache had worsened to pounding and I had a horrible pain in my side. My Dr. ordered a shot of morphine. The shot was more painful than the headache, in fact I still have a GIANT purple bruise on my leg from it but I finally got relief from my headache and side pain and was able to sleep for a few hours.

My Dr. came by around 10 or 11 and seemed confused as to how I could be sleeping through contractions, until she remembered the morphine shot. That had worn off and they gave me a half dose of Phentynol (sp?) because my side pain was back. I don't know what that was from, I think I pulled a muscle or something. She broke my water and that didn't feel good AT ALL. She also noted that I was now a good 4 cm and she said after the water is broken I should order the epi right away since there was another lady as far along as me and 2 c-sections coming up. The nurse advised me to wait as long as possible through the contractions so I did. That took about 8 minutes.

So the anesthesiologist came in with his cart and got to work. This was the worst part of the entire labor. I had to sit on the side of the bed, bend forward, relax my shoulders, arch my back outward (not easy if you have a giant belly) and sit completely still through contractions that were one on top of another while trying to break my husbands hands. As it turns out, my vertebrae appear to be somewhat fused but third try was a charm and the epi was finally in. It felt really weird when he was trying to shove the needle in my back, but it didn't hurt. However, after it was done, my blood pressure took a nose dive so there was much excitement about that. Also, there was still a pocket on my lower right side that was untouched by the epi and very, very much in pain. My biggest fear at this point was that I'd need an emergency c-section and they wouldn't be able to numb that part.

Luckily, they finally found a position that both the baby and I were happy in, we stabilized and they shot some extra stuff into the epi and all was great. About an hour later, the nurse came by to do a check- and SUPRRISE! The baby was there! I had gone from 4cm to 10 in a little over an hour. However, he was facing the right and they wanted him to turn so they said they'd let me labor down for awhile since I wasn't in pain. I wasn't in pain to the extent that I could feel absolutely nothing, in fact, so they didn't realize I wasn't able to feel a need to push. Finally, the Dr. came by. Her other patient had just delivered so she decided I might as well go ahead also. We did four sets of four pushes and he was out! My husband held one leg, the nurse held the other, and it was over in less than 30 minutes! It was such a huge relief to have him out, it was immediate relief and very welcome at that point. The nurses took over and checked him out, he weighed 7lbs. 3 oz, was 18.5" long and was born at 3:54pm on the 13th. He scored an 8 and 9 on his apgars and DH went with him to watch his first bath and put on his diaper.

He is super cute! In case you are worried that you might not find instant love or even attraction to your baby, don't worry. I have never met a baby I thought was cute until I met my own and I can't get enough of him. And, when he came out and they put him on my chest, my very first thought was "Holy sh!t what do I do now?" but it was replaced with love and happiness shortly after my initial shock :)

Also, my big fear about delivery was getting an episiotomy but my Dr. assured me she wouldn't have to do that and that natural tearing was the way to go. Well, I tore myself an episiotomy and boy has recovery not been a pleasant experience! It's 100 times better today than it has been though and it will only keep getting better.

So, that was ridiculously long but I always enjoyed reading the birth stories on here and they are pretty much what prepared me to get through my own. And as a reward for reading this whole long thing, here is a photo of my cute little boy!


Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!

Re: My induction birth story- long

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards