Special Needs
Options

Does anyone know how much a 21 month old should say?

Hello, just wondering if i need EI. DS says about 30.

Re: Does anyone know how much a 21 month old should say?

• Options
    My son is 20 months, he has between 50-60 word but only uses 10-20 on a regular basis. Example is he says butterfly but we don't really see or talk about many butterflys on a daily basis but he asks for "fish" ( he loves finding Nemo) and crackers, his favorite snack, everyday. I think that DS' is on the average end of the speech spectrum, he speaks clearly, spontaneously, starting to put two words together ( get you, bye bye Dada) but is not speaking is sentences.?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also if DD picked up on language quicker... does she talk 'for' him? That could be a factor in him not hitting that language explosion yet. Usually, just about the time you get worried, that EXPLOSION happens. Did you notice that with DD before she was talking as much?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

my DD is 20 month and has about 35 words. She uses only about 10 on a regular basis and about half of her words are not clear.

We are having her evaluated tomorrow. It's better to act sooner and get help. It's free for an eval, and it may just make you feel better.

• Options
    I don't think that is enough to qualify for early intervention at her age. ?The range of typical at 24 months would be 50 words, starting some simple phrases up to kids speaking in full sentences. ?She has several months - watch her but don't stress.
  • Options
    I think girls are quicker to speak than boys but, my 21 month old daughter pretty much repeats anything you say and speaks 4-5 word sentences. My son on the other hand (who is 3 now), when he was 24 months old only spoke about 5 or 6 words. He's always had some sensory issues (auditory) and is extremely emotional and having behavioral problems now. Inappropriate, constant and lengthy tantrums. We're getting him evaluated in Sept.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"