Philadelphia Babies

Bryn Mawr Hospital Natural Birth Doctor Recommendations?

So, I'm planning to give birth at the Birth Center in Bryn Mawr, but they have all these conditions set up so you pretty much have to be in ideal shape to actually have your baby there (can't be too early or too late, must have good blood pressure, good everything basically.)

If not, they send me directly to Bryn Mawr Hospital. I might also have to transfer if I stop making progress... SOO, I'm looking for your Doc recommendations, in case I need to deliver at Bryn Mawr. Obviously, I might not be able to have my ideal natural birth in this circumstance, but I thought I'd stand a better chance if I got a doc who believed in it.

Thanks a bunch!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bryn Mawr Hospital Natural Birth Doctor Recommendations?

• Hi

Sorry I won't be able to answer your question. Just wanted to say hello to a fellow Birthing Center mommie.  I too will be delivering there. 

• If youre in the middle of labor and they transfer you to the hospital dont you get whatever dr is on call at that time? I always thought you really had no choice in who actually delivers your baby.  Am I wrong?  Id actually prefer to be wrong, so please tell me I am!! ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • If I'm "in the middle of labor," yes, I think I get who is on call because the only reason I'd be transferred would be out of concern for safety and that technically makes it an emergency.

But, if I go into labor more than two weeks early, or more than two weeks late, or if my blood pressure isn't good (there are a couple more conditions, I think), I would go directly to the hospital. A midwife would be with me, but I was just thinking an ideal situation would be to call my doctor in that case. To have a familiar person on the Bryn Mawr staff.

• I still think even if you go into labor early or late you still get whatever doc that is on...I go to Bryn Mawr Women's Health and they are the biggest practice that serves Bryn Mawr Hospital and they said still I only have  50-75% of having one of the docs from this pracitce...so there really isn't anyway to prepare for what doctor you will have...I suppose a well written birth plan is the best you can do.
  • I'm going to Bryn Mawr Womens Health too. 
  • imagePAIrishBride:
    I still think even if you go into labor early or late you still get whatever doc that is on...I go to Bryn Mawr Women's Health and they are the biggest practice that serves Bryn Mawr Hospital and they said still I only have  50-75% of having one of the docs from this pracitce...so there really isn't anyway to prepare for what doctor you will have...I suppose a well written birth plan is the best you can do.

-- now THERE'S something I didn't expect! Thanks for the tidbit PAIrishBride, that's good to know. 

I'm working on that birth plan. :)

• I gave birth at the birth center and if you have to go to the hospital you get whatever doc is on call. Your midawife will go with you. And their conditions are not bad at all. Actually they recently changed it so you can be anywhere from 36-42 weeks and deliver there. Anything else would be unsafe. And they will let you go a long time as long as you and baby are ok even if you are not making progress. basically they will transfer you to the hospital if you become high risk. which is where you would want to be anyway because they are not really able to handle high risk situations.

They will work with you. TBC is for women who are not high risk. I delivered my first child in the hospital and my second in TBC and TBC was by far a better experience. If you have to be transfered to the hospital they do whatever they can to make it a great experience but you are technically still in their care. Your insurance will not pay for you to see a doc also during your pregnancy. Hope that helps.

• Thanks s&jsmom. It's always encouraging to hear from Moms who delivered at TBC.
  • I had the most wonderful experience there. We will deliver there again this time. IT felt like we were in a hotel! The midwife and nurse we just so great, so much different then my experience at the hospital. Good Luck! And take the birth class they offer. It is really helpful!
  • imagePAIrishBride:
    I still think even if you go into labor early or late you still get whatever doc that is on...I go to Bryn Mawr Women's Health and they are the biggest practice that serves Bryn Mawr Hospital and they said still I only have  50-75% of having one of the docs from this pracitce...so there really isn't anyway to prepare for what doctor you will have...I suppose a well written birth plan is the best you can do.

I also go to Bryn Mawr Womens Health....maybe a small world but Ive since discovered that about 4 of my friends go there too, so maybe not! What is this birth plan you speak of? I have heard I need one, but I really dont know what it is. Isnt it enough that dh knows that I want drugs and no c-section (if at all possible) and thats it? is there a format or form to fill out? is it in prose or list fashion? seriously, with scheduling childbirth classes and enrolling in dependent care FSAs and now birth plans, I feel like I should get a degree in pregnancy when this is all over!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"