New York Babies

Has nothing to do with pregnancy..

But my DH and I are going on vacation to NYC.. and was wondering what we HAVE to do while there!? Or where is a really great restaraunt to eat at! We are staying at the DoubleTree in Time Square.

Thanks so much!

We are doing the following:

#1 going to a yankee game

#2 Statue of Liberty

#3 St Patricks Cathedral

Re: Has nothing to do with pregnancy..

• you guys should definitely try to fit in a show on Broadway..go see Jersey Boys!!  There are a lot of good places to eat by Times Square depending on what kind of atmosphere you like...for something laid back and really good try Dallas BBQ.. you can go to the Hard Rock which is very touristy and very overrated but it has some cool stuff to look at but the food is just ok... theres a restaurant there called Carmines which i heard is excellent if you want Italian food...  and before you leave you should check out the South Street Seaport as long as the weather is nice..  Hope you guys have fun in my city!!!
  • Thank you SO much! I cant wait! =)
  • Loading the player...
  • Stay out of times square for eating and shopping, it is a tourist trap and you will be overcharged for bad food and poor quality goods. There are plenty of great restaurants that are a subway ride away. If you go to the upper west side, the 70's, you have your pick of italian, seafood, french, you name it all along broadway and amsterdam. (some names are Ocean Grill for seafood, Compass for good seafood and steak, Isabella's for american food and Cesca for good italian) Go down into Soho and the streets are lined with great restaurants and cafes. You could waste an entire day in Soho and not be bored.?
  • Go to 9th Avenue for restaurants.  It's 2 blocks west of where you're staying.  Not as touristy as closer restaurants.  Locals go there.  A nice Italian one is Cara Mia on 9th Avenue just south of 46th street.  Mexican?  Arriba! Arriba! on the corner of 9th Avenue & 51st Street.

When you go to the Statue of Liberty, go early!  The lines are REALLY long in the summer time for the boat over there.  The line into the statue itself is so long you'll spend the whole day.  Unless you want to visit Ellis Island, which is a great museum, skip the trip to the statue.  The best pictures are from the boat not on the island because you're too close - you're looking up her nose.  Take the NY Harbo Cruise instead.  It's about an hour and takes you right up to the island to take pictures.  It also goes to the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges for pictures.  There's a guide on the boat that tells you what you're seeing too.  I was a tour guide for years and I rarely took people to the island because they'd get so frustrated at the lines. 

Wear comfortable shoes and a hat.  Yes, you can get sunburn and heat stroke in NYC.

Have fun!

• not sure if you're still checking up on this post...

i would also avoid times square restaurants with 1 exception - Ruby Foo's which is just a few blocks north of times square. i have lived in manhattan for 6.5 years and it's one of my favorites.

also, for a really cool dessert experience, try "Max Brenner, Chocolate By the Bald Man" - there are 2 locations - 1 in Union Square and 1 in the East Village.

feel free to message me direct with any other questions. enjoy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thank you ladies so much! =) Im so excited.. and thank you for all the great advice! Id be the dummie to go eat at time square.. and take the wrong Statue of Liberty tour! LOL. =)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"