Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Anyone had their ring dipped in Rhodium?

I just found out about this process! It sounds wonderful since I have been thinking about getting my gold wedding set put into a new white gold set. I love the idea that they still would be my original rings, just in a white gold finish. I know though, that it must get re-dipped every 8 months to 1 year.

What has your experience been with it? How often do you get it dipped? How much do you usually pay?

Thanks!

Re: Anyone had their ring dipped in Rhodium?

• Options
    My friend did it for years and then just had her diamond re-set into a new setting and bought a new band.  She was always happy with the process, just got tired of doing it.
  • Options
    I had my white gold rings dipped in Rhodium to touch them up about 4 years after I got them. It's something I'd like to do every couple of years. I think it was about $150.?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    just my band (not my actually engagement right). which we have matching white gold bands - i get it done prob every 6 months? 8 months? i dont have to pay for it though - they do it for free where we bought our bands.
  • Options

My wedding rings are white gold and I get them done every six months.  It is no cost because DH bought the protection plan with the rings, so it is no charge to get it done - I could get it done every week if I wanted to.

I do have one ring that doesn't have the protection plan, but I still get it done every six months.  It is $30 each time, if I remember correctly.

• Options
    Ditto KevinsBride - had my white gold dipped to refresh the color/keep it from turning yellow, but I didn't know you could use it to flat out turn yellow gold white.
  • Options
    it looks good for about 6 months...then starts to yellow just a teeny bit. i only notice it because the ring it is next to is platinum. it cost me about 60$. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Can you take your ring to any jewelry store?

Mine came from a local jeweler in FL - we are no longer there so I always wondered. Not sure why I have never asked before.

• Options
    imageanardi:

Mine came from a local jeweler in FL - we are no longer there so I always wondered. Not sure why I have never asked before.

You should be able to.  My one ring is from a different jeweler, and I always have it done where my wedding set is from.

• Options
    I do mine every 8-12 months.  My wedding band is covered since we bought it at the store I take it to, but my e-ring runs about $35.  I will agree it's a slight pain, but I do love them so after they're done. 
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Just get solid white gold, it is not expensive and does not require dipping.

My e-ring I have had for 8 years and my Moms wedding band is 59 years old and never dipped, still look great!

• Options
    My bands are white gold and I get it done every 6 mo-1 year.  My jeweler does it for free since we bought my ring there.  I LOVE getting it done- makes my ring look so pretty!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageJARbaby:

Just get solid white gold, it is not expensive and does not require dipping.

My e-ring I have had for 8 years and my Moms wedding band is 59 years old and never dipped, still look great!

What is solid white gold? White gold is an alloy of gold, it doesn't exist unless gold is mixed with a white metal, like nickle--and then they have to coat it with rhodium because gold and nickle are not truly "white".

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Making lefse at the cabin **Scott 6/8/96** **Avery 7/24/08** **Brendan 7/15/10**
  • Options
    My rings are white gold, so I've had them dipped.  I got my engagement ring in November 2005, and didn't have to have it re-dipped until about August 2007.  But I always take it off for showers, and never put lotion on, etc. without takng it off first.  It depends on what you do with it how fast it will wear down.  I've worn my wedding band since June 2007 and have yet to have it re-dipped, but it has diamonds about 3/4 the way around and just the bottom is plain...it is looking like they both need to be done here soon.
  • Options

imagemrsrose16:
    What is solid white gold? White gold is an alloy of gold, it doesn't exist unless gold is mixed with a white metal, like nickle--and then they have to coat it with rhodium because gold and nickle are not truly "white".

The white gold I have has never yellowed, never had to be dipped, always been true to its color. I watch them create and pour the cast for my wedding band at Quest Manufacturing and the liquid was a silver color, never got plated (That was in 2001). My Moms wedding band which I wear as well (from 1950) has never been dipped and never turned either. I doubt it was switch for platimun and I know it is not silver.

They said it should not have to be dipped unless it is plated.

EDIT: I just called them because I have to go in on Saturday to pick up my ring and asked. Pete said that top quaility white gold should never have to be dipped. Though true white gold does not have that high glass finish like dipped white gold, which in fact does need to be dipped and does turn yellow.

• Options
    One thing to be careful of is that if you have a ring that is an antique or that has any engraving or etching my jeweler said that the Rhodium plating can make the engravings and etchings less defines or get rid of them all together.  He also said that not all jewelers will warn customers about this and that because it may not show up the first time you have it dipped (instead it will be a faint filling in of the engravings) you won't even realize it's happening until it's too late.
  • Options
    I had this done after I got my rings saudered. It looks great and I have been very happy with the way it wears.
    PhotobucketPhotobucket

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageanardi:

You can... my DH is the store manager for the Liljenquist & Beckstead at Fair Oaks Mall :) Support a local nestie ;)

• Options

Liljenquist & Beckstead

DH bought me something from there in Dec when I was in the hospital! I wonder if it was from your DH!

• Options
    imageJARbaby:

imagemrsrose16:

The white gold I have has never yellowed, never had to be dipped, always been true to its color. I watch them create and pour the cast for my wedding band at Quest Manufacturing and the liquid was a silver color, never got plated (That was in 2001). My Moms wedding band which I wear as well (from 1950) has never been dipped and never turned either. I doubt it was switch for platimun and I know it is not silver.

They said it should not have to be dipped unless it is plated.

EDIT: I just called them because I have to go in on Saturday to pick up my ring and asked. Pete said that top quaility white gold should never have to be dipped. Though true white gold does not have that high glass finish like dipped white gold, which in fact does need to be dipped and does turn yellow.

It must be mixed with platinum or palladium, because as a PP said, there is NO such thing as white gold. The ONLY jewelry or watch vendor that I know of that does not use rhodium plating is Rolex... and their white gold watches cost more than the yellow gold watches as a result. I could verify the plating vs. quality issue with my DH though, because he carries high-end lines like Chopard, Roberto Coin, etc... But that's the first time I've heard a statement like that.

• Options
    imageJARbaby:

Liljenquist & Beckstead

DH bought me something from there in Dec when I was in the hospital! I wonder if it was from your DH!

If you're in MD, it was probably from the Montgomery Mall location. But, feel free to support a local nestie in the future :)
  • Options
    imagefemmeftle9:
    imageJARbaby:

Liljenquist & Beckstead

If you're in MD, it was probably from the Montgomery Mall location. But, feel free to support a local nestie in the future :)

You wrote Fair Oaks right? Had my babies in Virginia, live in Maryland.

I too am going to ask tomorrow as to what they mix with, I want to know why mine does not yellow but others require maintenance.

• Options
    I've only done once.  Turned out great  I need to do it again.  We got our bands from Kay;s and it free. 
  • Options

once a year. It's 40 per ring. I have my e-ring and wedding ring re dipped.

it's awesome. I usuallyhave it done at jareds. They do it in one day!

• Options
    Every 6 months when I get the diamonds inspected! We paid for the lifetime plan thing with Zales and it's no extra charge. They look like new when I pick them up and it's fab.
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"