Detroit Babies

New to Board & Question

Hi ladies, I am new to this board and thought I would introduce myself.

My name is Katie, married, 29 and expecting our first baby after almost 2 years trying..

I do have a question.  I live in the Redford/ Livonia area - does anyone live out here and have a OB that delivers at Beaumont?    Or, if you have a recommendation for someone in the Southfield, Bloomfield, Farmington area that would work too as I work in Southfield. 

Looking forward to posting and getting to know you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: New to Board & Question

• I just wanted to say welcome and congrats! Sorry I can't help on a rec since I am not in that area.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am wondering what kind of birth you are looking for?  They typical "in at 3 cm, get an epidural, it's okay if I have a cesarean?"  Or are you looking for a less interventive more natural route?  That would make a big difference in the provider I suggested, and if you were looking for a less interventive provider, I would say that the Beaumont Health System in general might not be the best fit.  They do have midwives at Troy, but their office is on the border of Utica and Troy, so not really near you at all.  If you're talking Royal Oak Beaumont, they have one of the highest cesrean rates in the state, so if you're not okay with a cesrean, I would stay away from birthing there!
  • Loading the player...
  • Hello & Congrats!

I live in Northville, practically Novi, but my OB is in Livonia.  Dr. Neal & Dr. Sabbagh (spelling might be wrong).  Dr. Neal is the father, his daughter Dr. Susan Neal also is in the practice and then Dr. Sabbagh.  You see all 3 during your pregnancy and then whoever is on call when you are at the hospital delivers your baby.  I've been seeing them for 10 years, and also during my 1st pregnancy and they were great.  They deliver out of St. Mary Mercy, Levan & 5 Mile in Livonia, and I have nothing but great things to say about them.  I was hesitant, but the nurses were wonderful and I was amazed at my whole experience.  They also offer different classes beforehand (childbirth, diaper/breastfeeding, etc) which were helpful and also you get a tour of the facility.  You get your own room, and you deliver, recover there, as well as the baby stays w/you, all of which I liked.  The rooms are nice size, which some people on the tour were surprised since they went to other hospitals & the rooms were tiny.

Dr. Neal's #: 734-422-9300   The are on Farmington Rd. just south of Plymouth.

If you have ? you can email me: broncoalum97 at yahoo dot com

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Broncoalum - thanks for the recommendation.  I wasn't sure about St Mary Mercy because I have never been there (am an east side to start and newer to this area so I wasn't sure) - but I will definitely check out that Dr.  Really appreciate the comments.

I had no idea that Beaumont had such a high c-section rate !  Good to know..

• And also, broncoalum, your daughter is a doll - very cute photo!
  • Hi Katie and Welcome!

I am delivering out of Troy Beaumont, and my practice is in Bloomfield Hills and delivers out of Royal Oak as well. I absolutely love my physicians, and their philosophy is to do as little intervention as possible (no C-section unless neccessary for my health or the baby.)

I have also had several friends (and one very recently) deliver at RO naturally. The only word of caution I have is that it is a "teaching hospital" which means you may be treated by residents and I have found this irritating in the past. (ex: "I need to call your actual doctor to see if we can give you pain medication" 4 hours later, I was still writhing in pain- this was not preg. related, however)

Troy Beaumont is NOT a teaching hospital, and my experience there has been much better. Not sure which Beaumont you are looking into.

I see Dr.April Sarvis and Dr. Fred Bartholomew with Kingswood OBGYN. Again, I can't say enough wonderful things about them. I absolutely love them both, and trust them very much to deliver my first baby!

Good Luck!

• imageAlmostMrs.F:

Hi Katie and Welcome!

I am delivering out of Troy Beaumont, and my practice is in Bloomfield Hills and delivers out of Royal Oak as well. I absolutely love my physicians, and their philosophy is to do as little intervention as possible (no C-section unless neccessary for my health or the baby.)

I have also had several friends (and one very recently) deliver at RO naturally. The only word of caution I have is that it is a "teaching hospital" which means you may be treated by residents and I have found this irritating in the past. (ex: "I need to call your actual doctor to see if we can give you pain medication" 4 hours later, I was still writhing in pain- this was not preg. related, however)

Troy Beaumont is NOT a teaching hospital, and my experience there has been much better. Not sure which Beaumont you are looking into.

I see Dr.April Sarvis and Dr. Fred Bartholomew with Kingswood OBGYN. Again, I can't say enough wonderful things about them. I absolutely love them both, and trust them very much to deliver my first baby!

Good Luck!

I have great things about this office.  I am at a different office however.  My office delivers at the new Henry Ford.

Good Luck

~Married- 10.20.2007~ TTC Since- 4.3.2009 ~BFP#1- 8.25.2009 ~ Missed M/C and D&C-10.9.2009 ~BFP#2-8.12.2010 ~ EDD- 4.20.2011~ It
  • Just putting another option out there if you are looking to go more natural!!  I delivered both babies out of Providence Southfield and their ABC Unit.  It is their Alternative Birth Care Unit that specializes in drug free childbirth.  I had a great experience with both labors and would recommend them in a heart beat.  I live in Livonia and it was only a 15 or 20 minute drive from our house.  I would also recommend my OB as she was great both times around - Dr. Graf (248.223.9202) in Southfield @ 12 and Telegraph.  She has a partner now Dr. Harris and she is just as good.
  • I live in Livonia and see doctors at Metro Partners in Women's Health.  I will deliver at the new Providence in Novi.  I have been with these doctors since I was 18 and really enjoy them.

GL in your choice! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"