Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Tummy sleeping only?

Am I the only one who's LO only likes to sleep on his tummy?  The problem is that he's only 5 weeks so I can't leave him unattended like this!  So he's been sleeping on my tummy most nights slightly inclined while I lay against pillows on the couch.  He loves it...

He seems to hate sleeping flat on his back and will only lay like this for a few minutes (at most) before crying.

Anyone have any tips?  Or should I just let him sleep on me for now!?  Not sure what to do.

BabyFruit Ticker TTC #2 since March 2010. 2 LOSSES ... c/p - Dec 2010. Ectopic - March 2011. Me: 35; DH: 34 DX: DOR, egg quality issues ; DH - all normal FSH 10.1, Estradiol 21.8, AMH 0.49 IVF #1 (Oct/Nov 2011) (Antagonist with BCP's)- 5R, 0 eggs to transfer CD3 b/w by same RE 1/2012: FSH 6, AMH 1.4...wtf?? IVF #2 (Apr 2012) EPP/Antagonist with ICSI - 10R, 7M, 6 ICSI'd, 2F. 3DT = BFN AMH tested by new RE 6/2012 - 2! Saving money for IVF #3. Started a ton of supplements in May 2012 and hoping for a miracle! SURPRISE BFP!! (October 2012)

Re: Tummy sleeping only?

• Options
    p has been a tummy sleeper since he was 6 weeks old. just make sure the crib sheet is on super snug and that there are no blankets or toys in the crib with him. you can also get an angelcare monitor to help put your mind at ease. we never had one though.
  • Options
    First of all Bradley is a cutie!  Secondly, you can try putting him on his side using a sleep positioner or rolling two recieving blankets and wedging them on either side. Side-sleeping seems to be a good compromise for some belly-sleepers.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DD used to sleep on me.. but that wasn't working for us. I was too paranoid she would slide off. She was/is still quite the wiggle worm.

I put her on her tummy about 2.5 months. She sleeps better and I sleep better. We got an Angelcare monitor and that calms my fears some. She has never put her face flat into the mattress though.

• Options
    Tummy sleeper since about 8 weeks. Organic mattress to avoid the fumes in her face and angelcare monitor make me feel better- but I'd have an angelcare if she were on her back, too, because we have her in her own room in her crib. Tummy sleeping is natural for babies- they sleep better and more soundly which is one reason that "they" guess that it might be a SIDS risk- these babies might not wake up if they aren't able to breathe. But nobody knows what causes SIDS and babies on their backs are struck by it as well. DD slept for a max of 45 mins at night at a time on her back- it was hell on all of us and she was as sleep deprived and miserable as we are. Now she can go 8.5 hours (generally between 6 and 8 the first stretch) and I wouldn't change a thing---there is actually some controversy on the back to sleep campaign because it hinders development ("tummy time" is a relatively new mandate) and causes severely flat heads.?
  • Options

Dash has also been a tummy sleeper since about 4-5 weeks old. I must admit, however, that he was on an apnea monitor that would go off if he stopped breathing (he never did).

We don't have any blankets, stuffed animals, or bumpers in the crib to minimize risk. And he's my second so I'm a little more casual in my parenting toward him.

Do what you feel comfortable with.

• Options

imagecajuncutie0169:
    p has been a tummy sleeper since he was 6 weeks old. just make sure the crib sheet is on super snug and that there are no blankets or toys in the crib with him. you can also get an angelcare monitor to help put your mind at ease. we never had one though.

This was us, except we started younger.  Tummy sleeping is the dirty little secret of parenting.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"