Washington Babies

young toddlers and nail clipping

There is nothing in our house as terrible as a nail clipping.  Screams bloody murder.  Far far worse than getting shots.  We used to have a little song that I'd sing and she'd sit there nicely and watch me clip away.  Now she wiggles and squirms and even is able to avoid me in her sleep (rolls over and pulls her hands and feet under her body).  She also doesn't have much of an attention span for tv so turning Sesame Street on isn't much help.  I'm running out of ideas.

Does anybody have any suggestions for helping their toddler be okay with nail clipping?

Re: young toddlers and nail clipping

• I think our toddlers are in cahoots. DD does it too. Someone (corribecca maybe?) told me that they just tried for one nail a day. Buy the time you get through them it's time to start over but at least it keeps them manageable. Might be worth a try.
  • Could you try rewarding the clipping with nail polish? Let her paint your toes when you are done with hers? Paint Daddy's toes?

Or switch to filing?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • We gave a few m & m's after clipping. My kids would do anything for an small treat at that age. Not so much anymore. Now I give them both a big cuddle and the stern "Mommy is going to cut your nails now". Logan loves it because it is alone one on one mom time. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I always used to think clipping nails was difficult enough when they were little but when they become toddlers, it's a whole new monster to deal with!  I'm only able to get 2, maybe 3 nails at a time, so I clip Payton's every couple of days.  We sing songs and I usually have to bribe her with food too.  Whatever it takes, right?  Hang in there!

• Sometimes it helps if we sit down and my son watches me cut my nails and then it's his turn. I think it helps make it less scary for him.
  • Yep, we do just one or two each night.  It's such a struggle.  I can't understand why they hate it so much.
  • Great suggestions everybody - thank you!  It is also helpful to know that I'm not alone. 
  • We have the best luck in the morning when everyone is in a good mood - throw them into the high chair (with a tray so they don't watch it), give them breakfast and a video and start clipping.

I know you said a video wouldn't help, but doing it to yourself first is a good idea.  Otherwise give her a new book on the high chair tray?  Or have DH do bubbles or do the M & M's during, instead of after?

• We have resorted to giving DS1 a jelly bean for each hand and foot.  He gets 4 for a complete, fight-free clip job.  I'm not above bribery, lol.
  • Maybe give her a pair of clippers to hold while you are doing the job?

I guess I'm lucky that Miss A likes to get them clipped and will sit still and watch.  In fact, if she comes across clippers, she will sit and take off her shoes and socks and try to do it herself!  lol

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Ben doesnt' seem to care.  But I do them while he's brushing his teeth sometimes.  So one hand is busy and he's looking in the mirror and I do the other hand...
  • imageRachlove:
    Sometimes it helps if we sit down and my son watches me cut my nails and then it's his turn. I think it helps make it less scary for him.

We do similar to this.

I think Tillman's not considered a toddler anymore, but he still hates getting his nails cut. 

I'll cut one of mine, then one of his, then one of mine, etc.  We also don't do both hands and both feet at the same time.  We'll do one hand and then see how it's going.  If it's not going well, we'll continue the next day.  If it is going well, we'll do another hand/foot and then evaluate again.

T-man (07/27/05, 2:52pm, 10 lbs, 2 oz, 22") My Blog
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
    TTC #2 for a million years: SA normal, CD 23 bloodwork shows nothing amiss, ovulation detected. Next step: ? maybe CD3 bloodwork to check eggs? All out of pocket, so limited IF tests/treatments.
  • I have my mom do it.  He'll sit totally still for anyone else but me.  I can cut most the babies/toddlers nails in my daycare and they'll sit perfectly still but not for their parents.  Kids are funny like that.
  • imageAshleyKimberlyn:
    I have my mom do it.  He'll sit totally still for anyone else but me.  I can cut most the babies/toddlers nails in my daycare and they'll sit perfectly still but not for their parents.  Kids are funny like that.

Great idea!  Maybe I'll see if I can get this add on service from daycare. :)  I know she sits better for getting sunscreen on for them than for me.  Makes sense that nails would be similar!

• imagecoribecca:
    Yep, we do just one or two each night.  It's such a struggle.  I can't understand why they hate it so much.

I don't get it either.  She's finally at the age where we can usually convince her to do things she doesn't like.  Putting on a hat or wearing her bike helmet for instance.  She knows she has to wear them outside/on her bike and most of the time is very agreeable to it.  My gut with her screaming was that it was a lack of control that was freaking her out.  Supposedly the hands are very sacred at this age because they use them to explore their world and communicate.   Whatever the reason, super frustrating because if I let them go too long she gets scratches on her face...

• imagejen_and_tom:

imageAshleyKimberlyn:
    I have my mom do it.  He'll sit totally still for anyone else but me.  I can cut most the babies/toddlers nails in my daycare and they'll sit perfectly still but not for their parents.  Kids are funny like that.

Great idea!  Maybe I'll see if I can get this add on service from daycare. :)  I know she sits better for getting sunscreen on for them than for me.  Makes sense that nails would be similar!

I was going to say that our daycare provider does his toenails and fingernails and says he is perfect for them...whereas he will put up a fight for us.  But he eats, sleeps, and does timeout better at daycare so it doesn't surprise me either :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"