Eco-Friendly Family

What to do with recalled crib parts

Our crib was recently recalled and as soon as we move ds into his new toddler bed we'll be dealing with the process of getting a voucher for a new crib for baby #2. The ef problem I face is that to 'return' the crib to the company we have to take it completely apart and send them back all the hardware and installation instructions. This leaves us with a bunch of huge crib pieces that are basically heading to the landfill.

Any ideas of what I could do with these pieces to avoid just throwing them out? I thought of freecycling it but I don't want some desperate person taking it and trying to put it back together with new hardware or something and using it as a crib. Not only has it been recalled for safety issues but without the proper assembly instructions or the hardware that came with it, I'm afraid it would be a death trap if someone tried it. I could obviously put a disclaimer on the post saying that I'm only giving it to someone who wants to use the wood for scrap or for another purpose other than as a crib but someone could always lie if they were desperate enough so I'm just not sure what to do. 

I just hate the thought of chucking it at the curb - plus then really there's the same risk of someone coming by and taking it and this time they don't even get the disclaimer that it was recalled and unsafe . . .

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What to do with recalled crib parts

• Hmm... That's tough.  If you want to give it away for scrap wood maybe saw it into pieces so it can't be reused as a crib?  Or how about as some sort of animal guard or divider in your garden if you have one?  I think the sawing and offering as firewood might be the best bet?
  • reenireeni member
    can you donate it to a school for their shop class? Or make something else from it (plant stakes, shelf, drying rack, etc.)? If it is good wood I'm sure you could give it/sell it to someone (maybe on Etsy?) to make something out of...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"