Preemies

I get the "craptastic mom of the year" award

I've suspected Reese has reflux for awhile.  She spits up all.the.time. But she's always been a spitter, so I brushed it off.  I even called the pedi at one point and they said it was normal for some babies to spit up a lot.  She screams like a lunatic at night.  I chaulked it up to colic.  Things have gotten worse the last couple of weeks and she's suddenly fighting me when I nurse her.  She's been congested. Today, the sitter said she spit up constantly and cried thru every feeding (which is not normal!)  And she only ate 9 oz. 

So, I call the pedi and the nurse says it sounds like reflux.  Her pedi was out of the office today, so the nurse is going to have him call me tomorrow morning.  I feel awful that I didn't push the issue a few weeks ago when I called. I figured I was just being a paranoid, first time mom.  The poor thing has been in pain this entire time and it could be fixed (hopefully, easily fixed!) by medication. 

We were at Target when the pedi office called me back.  I was so flustered when we left, that I only buckled one side of her straps in her carseat.  

I am definately deserving of the craptastic mom award today.  :(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I get the "craptastic mom of the year" award

• mcdevmcdev member

Don't beat yourself up. ?If you're a crappy mom than so am I!

When Claire was an infant she did a whole lot of screaming and squirming. ?It NEVER occurred to me that it could be for a medical reason. ?I just thought she was a fussy baby and I was the mom so I should be able to manage it. ?Nope. ?She had reflux. ?It wasn't diagnosed until she was almost 3 months old and once it was identified she was the smiley happy baby she was always meant to be. ?I felt HORRIBLE.

As for the carseat issue.....sad to say I've done that too. ?(And then freaked out all day long about the "what-could've-happened".)

You are not a bad mom. ?You are human. ?:)?

Claire Avery born at 32 weeks on 10/25/06 Keira Leigh born at 27 weeks on 4/29/08
  • If you're a craptastic mom, so am I. Your story with the reflux sounds exactly like mine. He always fussed when he ate and spit up a lot but he finally decided to quit eating as much (started eating half his usual) and he was finally diagnosed with reflux. I am so sorry, but she should start feeling better soon. You're NOT a bad mom! It's often hard to diagnose.
  • Loading the player...
  • aw don't be so hard on yourself!!  Babies are always a guessing game...that's what makes them so frustrating sometimes. 

It took us weeks to figure out DS has reflux.  Poor kid layed in a hospital bed, with a feedin tube (really comfortable, I'm sure) in the NICU for weeks, not eating because it hurt.  Nobody had any idea.  

You're doing a great job!

• Well, if you get the craptastic mom award then what do I get because I once forgot to buckle BOTH sides of his carseat.

When he was a baby and we used the Snap N Go we never took him out of the car seat, but one day he started coughing/choking on his own spit around 4 months adjusted so we unbuckled him and pulled him out quickly to pat his back, put him back in with a blanket over him and when we got back to the car just threw the car seat in. I think I cried for an hour when we got home and I realized what I had done.

Jacob 3.23.08 * Grace 7.22.09 * Eli 7.26.11 * Annabelle 1.18.14

• our doctor finally took our daughter's reflux treatment seriously when i finally broke down and said that she screams so hard that you would think someone is stabbing her. i felt horrid for admitting it was really getting to us and that it really might not be "normal". good luck and i hope the meds help! reflux is just awful to have.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"