Eco-Friendly Family
Options

s/o birth stories...OMG!

so my sister has a friend who went into labor a couple weeks ago.  when she was in the hospital she had cord prolapse.  they (for some ungodly known reason) did NOT have an anesthesiologist there.  they rushed her to the or for an emergency c-section.  they didn't give her ANY drugs, they strapped her to the table and cut her open, while awake!! 
I told my sister that she must be mistaken, they wouldn't do that...she said that her friend said that if indeed they DID give her something it wasn't anything that would have helped with that pain.  and it was a matter of 6 minutes that it happened and she was on the table cut open.
I cannot FATHAM going through this and can't figure out for the life of me why they didn't just "knock her out"!!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: s/o birth stories...OMG!

• Options
    Indifferent
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    OMG!  you can DO that???!?!?!?!?!?
  • Options
    CelynCelyn member
    They don't usually knock you out for a c/s...  If there wasn't time for a spinal or an epidural, they should have given a local, unless they were concerned she was allergic.  Poor thing.  I can only imagine how traumatic that must have been.
  • Options
    holy crap!
    image Ethan 12.31.07 Lillian 4.1.11
  • Options
    I know that people claim that these stories aren't true and that this doesn't happen but a good friend of mine had a cs for her first child and she said that whatever they gave her didn't take. The staff kept asking her if she could feel things and she would tell them absolutely and they would argue with her that feeling pressure wasn't the same as actually feeling it and it got the point where they were about to cut her open and she had to scream at the guy that she absolutely could feel what he was doing and they needed to fix it right away. I think they did end up knocking her out if I remember correctly but I'm fairly certain that they never believed that she could absolutely feel them pricking her skin after she was given the anesthesia.
  • Options
    Indifferent
  • Options

Yikes!  How awful!!!

It wouldn't surprise me though if they gave her a local and it didn't work.  I always need at least triple the normal dose when I go to the dentist or whatever, and they're always like "are you sure you're not just feeling pressure?" 

A friend of mine was knocked out for her c/s - her placenta was detaching and they needed to get her baby out ASAP - so it is still done, but I doubt it is very common.

• Options
    reenireeni member

I had an emergency c/s and they did rush me from the labor room to the OR in less than 10 minutes, from the time ds' heartrate dropped to when they pulled him out was like 7 minutes. It was so fast dh wasn't even in the room yet. I had already been given an epidural so I felt a lot of tugging and suction. It went so fast, I had fluid collection at the cut for a week. Not pretty, but otherwise ds might have had brain damage.

Obviously not ideal, so for dd we scheduled a c-section once it was obvious I would go over my due date. Much better; even though I still wish I could have done a VBAC, my body is too comfortable for babies, they want to stay in.

• Options

one of my best friends had her epi wear off halfway through her c/s.

it's one of the reasons her DH took a LOOONG time to decide he wanted another baby eventually.

• Options

imagesmurfetteinred:
    I know that people claim that these stories aren't true and that this doesn't happen but a good friend of mine had a cs for her first child and she said that whatever they gave her didn't take. The staff kept asking her if she could feel things and she would tell them absolutely and they would argue with her that feeling pressure wasn't the same as actually feeling it and it got the point where they were about to cut her open and she had to scream at the guy that she absolutely could feel what he was doing and they needed to fix it right away. I think they did end up knocking her out if I remember correctly but I'm fairly certain that they never believed that she could absolutely feel them pricking her skin after she was given the anesthesia.

yup.  one of my friends wound up needing a cs and same thing - they set her up and gave her the meds and did tests to see if she could feel and she could each time and they went ahead and did it anyway.  i've always been insanely psychotic about dr/hospital things but all it took was her one story about this that i am 150% petrified of needing a section because both instances of 'conscious sedation' i've been dealt were the most traumatic things ever because they didn't take and i cried and yelled through the whole thing - first with my wisdom teeth then second with the colonoscopy which was actually worse because i was in serious pain from the abdominal cramping and was screaming for them to stop and they wouldn't.  and that was after they gave me the max adult dose of their versed drug or whatever so couldn't give me anything else so anyway, i'm convinced i'm too anxious for meds to work.  you'd think that doctors would get that when a patient is screaming no no stop that should constitute nullifying consent, no?  

::shivers::  

another reason i so desperately wish i could convince dh that homebirth is at least an 'option'...  le sigh..

my cool cat - er, bunny!

Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    my bfp chart!
    our hippy baby blog

• Options
    imagemrs.a.butler:

can't figure out for the life of me why they didn't just "knock her out"!!

You said there was no anesthesiologist in the hospital right? That is why they didn't just "knock her out." You need an anesthesiologist to do that.

• Options

First of all that doctor would have been punched and then kicked in the nuts, first by me and then by my husband, and then maybe my doula too.

This is why I HATE hospitals. Maybe I should just deliver in the parking lot..

• Options
    My friend had a c-s and the epidural didn't take at all. She felt it all- probably not as bad as this original person, but she felt it. She never wants to have another c-s again but will most likely have to due to her tiny size. She's terrified.
    Lovin' Life: M+D 7/06, T 1/08, B 5/10
    Getting back to it- my diet and exercise blog
    Losing it...Without Losing it
  • Options
    My emergency c/s was really quick.  One minute I was pushing, then the next minute the anesth. was telling me it was all okay and I would have a baby when  I woke up.  I was out.  I can't imagine they wouldn't knock her out - that seems odd.
    Mama to two boys and a girl: J (6 yrs), C (4 yrs) and A (4 mo)
    Posts on cloth trainers/PLing
  • Options

imageCABunny:
    My emergency c/s was really quick.  One minute I was pushing, then the next minute the anesth. was telling me it was all okay and I would have a baby when  I woke up.  I was out.  I can't imagine they wouldn't knock her out - that seems odd.

what seems odd to me is a hospital without an anesthesiologist!!  like serously - wtf is up with that?  seems like it'd be.....important???

my cool cat - er, bunny!

Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    my bfp chart!
    our hippy baby blog

• Options
    What is the point of delivering at a hospital if they can't even act properly in an emergency?
  • Options
    Also, I guess I'm confused... but if she was still feeling *everything* wouldn't she have passed out from shock? I mean, that sort of pain would shoot her blood pressure through the roof...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"