Parenting

NE1 DC have middle of the night tantrums/terrors??

DD is 3 y/o. It seems like she is having night terrors, but they are not like the typical ones I read about in books and on-line.It's been going on for about a year but got worse since we brought the baby home.  She has never been a good sleeper and comes into bed with us a few hours after she goes to sleep. Some nights she has been waking up a few hours after she goes to sleep and has tantrum-like episodes. She gets very upset and makes contradictory demands about what she wants. If DH goes in she yells at him and won't come with him and insists that I come in. If I come in she freaks out and won't come with me she screamed at me. The other night she said she had to pee but kicked and screamed when DH tried to bring her into the bathroom and then wedged herself between the toilet and the wall. Another night she said she had to pee refused to go and then ended up peeing on the floor (that happened twice). These episodes go on for anywhere from 15 -45 min. Needless to say they are exhausting at this hour. We also have a 2 month old and so i am always stressing that she will wake him too.

I feel very bad because I have really lost it with her a few times-putting up the gates in her doorway, yelling, fighting with my husband about what to do. In the morning she doesn't remember the episode, although she will remember the end of it (ie, that I yelled or the gates went up.) I really don't know what to do. I can't really just sit next to her and wait for her to snap out of it like some of the books suggest because it makes her freak out.  I have been trying to put her to bed earlier, but it hasn't seemed to help yet. Maybe it will after a few weeks. But, naturally it's summer, there will be late nights.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? (Sorry this is so long).

Re: NE1 DC have middle of the night tantrums/terrors??

• My 3.6 year old has had night terrors on and off since she was about 14 months old.  Now at her current age, she talks during these episodes and will ask for stuff.  But if you bring it or take her to the bathroom, she looks shocked.  Her doctor said she's actually sleep walking.  Dd now sleeps with me because she has fallen over her bedrail trying to get out of bed.  She will be up from a few minutes to about a 1/2 hr and doesn't remember any of it in the morning.
  • My DD is 3 and we have a 3 mo old.  DD has been waking up crazy lately too.  Not quite that bad, but screaming.  She is not allowed to sleep with us, but she will wake up screaming and we have to go put her back in her "castle."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"