Parenting after a Loss

so this is a fear of mine and I hope I've not been the only one

I have only been a mom for 6 days now and this is my 1st kid...am I a freak or is there anyone else out there who had the biggest fear in SIDS when they came home with their LO? I know all of us have our worries but I find myself checking on her constantly...2nd night home from the hospital I used the swaddler and was always checking her, now I got her on the sleep wedge and she is sleeping for the 1st time in her pnp for more than 5 min and I am always going over there, but she keeps slipping down a little in it and I don't want her to go too far down into it. Am I the only one who is like this? I am trying not to be overly anal but I can't help it. I was already freaked out by the whole SIDS thing and then going to the pedi today he did a huge speech on it which didn't make my fears better. I feel like I went from the SAL board not wanting to loose my pg to coming over here being so greatful to be a mom and am now freaking about this.

Re: so this is a fear of mine and I hope I've not been the only one

• I worry about SIDS all the time. It has gotten a little better- I cried when we went to bed the first night she was home because it scared me so much to put her in her PNP. I check on her a lot while she is sleeping. I do think that we're doing everything we possibly can to prevent it and that is all we can really do. I don't really have any advice, but just wanted you to know you're not alone.
  • Congrats on your tiny new LO!  It is totally normal, I think for all new moms, but especially if you've had a loss I think it's on your mind a lot.  I know it was for me.  In fact, I think until she was crawling & I knew she could get up & move around I still worried about it to some extent.
  • Loading the player...
  • Congratulations on your sweet little girl!

I think paranoia goes with the territory. It gets easier with time and the more exhausted you feel, the more likely you are to sleep instead of worrying. That being said, DD is almost 9 months old and I still go in to check her breathing if she sleeps much longer than usual.

• I think your anxiety is totally normal.  And SIDS is real.

However, the risk of SIDS is VERY VERY low.  When DS was born, they told me that the risk was highest for boys (which you don't have) who are born in the late fall (which yours isn't).  It is also higher for preemies. 

Remember that it isn't something you can't control either.  But you can minimize your risks.  Dress appropriately (don't overdress especially in the summer).  Don't smoke or expose your baby to smoke.  Also, if you have a ceiling fan, studies suggest that can help.  

With all that said, I still check on my son once a night most nights.

• you're not alone. when andrew was a newborn, i was freaked about it. being in a swaddle is very safe. (((hugs)))
  • Aww, sweetie, you're definitely not alone.  The whole SIDS thing is so scary because it's this mysterious nightmare that no one really understands and there's no sure-fire way to prevent it.  Coupled with the fact that during those first weeks (and months!) you're learning everything about your baby-- the way she breathes normally, if she makes noises, what the noises mean, if she's a cougher, on and on and on... of course you are going to worry!

I'm sure most of us were the same way. I still have a moment of fear several times a week when I realize I haven't heard any noise from DD's room when she's been sleeping.  I always think "What if she stopped breathing?  What if it happened hours ago and I didn't even know?" 

Fear can be a good thing sometimes.  It keeps us aware of just how precious these little angels are.  You'll become more confident as you learn all the ins and outs about her, but for now, your fears are definitely justified:)

• When I came home with dd I was up & down constantly making sure she was still breathing & to make sure I hadn't broken her. It's a normal fear.  

What I found to help when dd was slipping down from her inclined positioned was to keep a rolled up rec'ing blanket at her feet. It helped to keep her in one spot. 

HTH And don't worry YOU"RE A GREAT MOMMY!!  

• You are SO NOT alone!  I still check on Carter before I go to bed at night.  There is always going to be something for us to worry about.  Once you're a Mommy, I don't think it ever stops.
  • Congrats on your LO!  It's perfectly normal to worry about SIDS and things like that.  I think I will always have something or other to worry about.
  • I still worry about it too. Today, Austin took a long nap and I kept going in the check on him.
  • I ended up not being as worried as I thought I would be, which was still plenty worried! ?If it bothers you that much, though, why not get one of those AngelCare monitors that alarms if the baby stops breathing?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You are not alone!!  You should send me your email address, I have a post in my blog (which is private) about this exact same thing and my friends who have not lost a baby tell me this is totally normal.  My LO keeps turning herself sideways in the crib and dh keeps telling me to put the bumper pads in her crib and I just can't do it.
  • I was afraid to sleep for the first week or two. I swear I was checking on her constantly.  I actually cried because I was scared. 

Don't worry - it's totally normal and it will get better.

• I love our AngelCare monitor.. It has really helped me sleep! I remember when my neices and nephew were little and I watched them I was always going in to make sure they were still breathing.. but I don't know if its cuz of the monitor or what, but I hardly ever do that with DD anymore.
    Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • you are not alone! However may i suggest a movement monitor? I love love love ours! Thats the only reason I feel good about him sleeping in the next room. If you can't afford one brand new try craigslist or ebay. So far its gone off once and by the time we got in there the alarm totally woke him up.
    ~Jess & Mike May 12, 2007
    12.6.07 CP at 5w
    5.21.08 BO discovered at 7w, D&E at 8w3d
    8.31.08 CP at 4w5d
    BFP Sept 25, 2008 bfp buddy lkstor Landon born June 6, 2009
    3.25.11 missed m/c discovered at 9w6d, D&E at 10w2d
    4.28.11 MTHFR a1298c homozygous discovered
    4.2011 Began NaProTechnology
    10.12.11 Diagnosed with Type III Luteal Phase Defect
    10.2011 Starting hcg injections on 5, 7 & 9 dpo
    BFP 12.7.11 - EDD 8.14.12 - IT'S A BOY! Fruit Baby
    Life During and After RPL