Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

To describe a full skin exam

Mrscarroll asked to explain what a skin exam should consist of. You should be completely naked however some let you keep underpants on. Your doc should look through your scalp (that's where my patients melanoma was), they should look all over you, under breasts, between buttocks to between your toes. They should also look in your mouth, some docs leave It up to your dentist. Males will have to lift their testicles in order to see under and to the sides. A good derm will biopsy any suspicious moles at the time of the exam, even if pregnant. However breast and abdomin biopsy during pregnancy will sometimes be avoided due to stretching skin can compromise healing UNLEss there is serious suspicion that it may be a cancer, then we could careless about healing and just wAnt to remove it. Being pregnant can cause moles to change so it's a good idea that once a month you stand naked in front of a mirror and look at all your moles. You may not know what a cancer looks like but you will know if a mole is different from before. Also, there are many skin cancers so don't just look for dark moles. Look for any sore that doesn't heal in 2 weeks, small pearly shiney bumps that resemble a pimple bump but again doesn't go away. Also flat scaley or rough small red patches that don't go awAy. Google basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma and learn what they look like.

Re: To describe a full skin exam

• Options
    I have lots of moles, and have had many removed.  I get a full body check every 6 months.  My mom works for a dermotologist and sees many cases of skin cancer.  It is scary, thats why I get checked every 6 months now.  I rather be safe than sorry. 
  • Options

thank you for this post! DH and i both have dr apt's tomorrow to check for worrisome moles/marks.

10-8-12: Grant is born!! Now a family of 5! 2-3-12: Totally unexpected BFP!! 12-10-10: Vera and Nora are born! *Beta#1(13dpFET):262*~ *Beta#2(20dpFET)4,835 TWINS!!!!!*~*Beta#3(@6wks)11,032 TRIPLETS!!!!! Baby A h/b: 109. Baby B h/b 112. Baby C h/b *praying* 4-6-10: FET (2 ET)....BFP 1-15-10: IVF (2 ET)..... BFN (1-28) 1-12-10: ER! 21 eggs! 10 to keep, 11 to donate :) 8-11-09: IUI #4 (FSH hCG) BFP .... 9-08: C/P 6-19-09: IUI #3 (FSH hCG) BFN 5-28-09: IUI #2 redo (FSH hCG) BFN 5-08-09: HSG: All clear! 4-21-09: IUI #2 canceled (clomid reaction) 4-1-09: IUI #1 (natural) BFN 9/08: S/A less than 5mil (10% mobile) -varicoseal surgery to fix...results worth it! 5/06: Endometriosis surgery 9/07: off of BCP A rejection is Gods protection. A dissapointment is His reappointment
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips, sweetie. That's truly scary.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That was really informative! Thanks for posting it!
    i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)

Cooper+Evie=Soulmates

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options

I admit the naked part is a little intimidating, but yep this is exactly what my derm does.  With a magnifying glass. 

Thanks for the tips Mandee!  All very good advice Smile

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks!

I'm going to make an appt. tomorrow!  It's been a couple years since last time I went.

• Options

imageskinnursemandee:
    Being pregnant can cause moles to change so it's a good idea that once a month you stand naked in front of a mirror and look at all your moles. You may not know what a cancer looks like but you will know if a mole is different from before.

Thanks for the advice, I've had full skin exams before but didn't know about pregnancy changing moles.  I bet DH would be willing to help me check.  :)

• Options
    Thanks for this. My grandma has had skin cancer for a long time and she gets checked out all the time.
  • Options
    Please don't beat me, but I've never been to a dermatologist!  I guess I should just to be sure nothing is hiding from me. 
  • Options

Thanks for bringing attention to this. I have a mole that I've had since forever that I was concerned about, but it was one of those things I kept putting off. I finally got a skin check about 8 months ago.

Everything looked good, and the doc took pictures of the mole & measured it. Went back a few months later to compare (I didn't want it removed if it didn't need to be), and it didn't change. I'll go back yearly now.

I'm so relieved that I did it, and it was quick and painless.

Yay for your PSA of the day! Yes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"