TTC after 35
Options

NTTCR: Any car negotiation tips?

I'm sure you couldn't figure out that this wouldn't be TTCR with out me telling you before my post name...lol 

I'm in the negotiation process with 3 dealerships right now, and it makes me want to Ick!  I have one more to go to. I'm going to check out the Costco buying program and see where that gets me. But I have to go to the dealership and I can't go until Friday.

Any tips?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NTTCR: Any car negotiation tips?

• Options
    I am always a hardass. Be prepared to walk away, or at least make it look like you will :)
  • Options

I'm pretty close to walking away from one. He keeps saying he can't go lower and I'm calling BS. Once I get the no negotiating price then I think I'll be in a better position for the negotiation.  ::Sigh::

I'm just glad I can do all of this over email these days.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageitsmexine:

I'm pretty close to walking away from one. He keeps saying he can't go lower and I'm calling BS. Once I get the no negotiating price then I think I'll be in a better position for the negotiation.  ::Sigh::

I'm just glad I can do all of this over email these days.

Ugh. No fun. I'd just say "Before we end on this note and cease discussing, that is your final offer?"

• Options

imageCathyMD:
    I am always a hardass. Be prepared to walk away, or at least make it look like you will :)

That's what I was going to say.  Be prepared to roll out (in your old car of course!)

• Options

I'm a whimp when it comes to this stuff....so I put my DH in charge, a little old fashioned but at least I know I'm getting a better deal.

I agree...walk away, there is definitely someone out there who will want to sell you a car. 

• Options

Warehouse club buying programs are the way to go IMO. Years ago, I used Sam's Club and it was wonderful - I just paid 2% above invoice and bought the car -   none of that dealer crap at all, which was heavenly.

I belong to Costco now, and having used a number of their other services I am certain that their car buying program is as good if not better than Sam's.

• Options

First off let me start by saying I have "Sucker" written across my forehead.  The last two vehicles we purchased I never set foot in the dealership during the negotiation process...DH is a stud when to comes to getting us killer car deals.  I do, however, help with the leg work. 

Do your reserach.  Go to Edmunds.com and get the "real" price of the vehicle you are interested in before you set foot in the dealership.  Negotiate the bottom line price of the vehicle you are purchasing.  Ignore the salesman when he asks you how much you want your payments to be.  You can figure that out yourself before you get there.  Most bank websites have loan amortization calculators to help with this. Be prepared to walk if they are trying to make and unreasonable amount on the deal.  The dealer generally won't sell unless they make at least $300.  DH usually starts at that point.  He's been laughed out of some dealerships and just keeps going until he gets the best deal.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"