Northern California Babies
Options

Why does weaning have to be so darn emotional :(

This is going to be a long ramble but I just need to get it out and DH really doesn't understand.

I'm weaning, well basically have weaned Cooper and I hate it. ?With Andrew I had only planned on nursing 3 months and then going back on my meds but the Docs approved me for 6 months based on great test results and then we decided to just go for getting PG instead of going back on meds then having to wean off again. ?It was easier to wean with Andrew because I was grateful for the extra months and excited about getting PG.

I probably should add that I have never produced enough milk, something about my disease and it's hormonal component. ?After starving Andrew for the first few weeks we started supplementing. ?With Andrew I seemed to produce right around 50% of his needs and with Cooper it's been a bit better. ?Anyway I digress.

So weaning Cooper just has me an emotional mess. ?I feel bad that I'm doing a shorter time than I did Andrew, I feel guilty that I couldn't give either one of them all milk. ?It's making me angry about being ill, which I've never felt before. ?I've always had a very zen way of dealing with my cancer for lack of a better way to put it.

I know I NEED to do it. ?I've been off some very critical medications for three years now and I know my kids would much rather I keep myself healthy and around longer than BF them but I still hate it. ?It doesn't help anything that I think bottles are a huge old pain in the arse or that I'm totally a person who given the chance would have been an extended BFer.

Thanks for listening and reading, even if you didn't get through my entire novel there :) ?I just know that while not exactly in my shoes there are plenty of you that are bound to understand.?

Re: Why does weaning have to be so darn emotional :(

• Options
    You need to do what you need to do. :-)  Health comes first!
  • Options
    (((HUGS))) to you! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

weaning *is* emotional - even without the guilt and emotions, theres also hormone issues behind it!! It will pass though - logically you know this is the best choice for you guys so give yourself some time to feel OK with it all.?

Now I just try to soak up other sweet moments with my girls - such as bathtime or hanging out with my LO when she first wakes up. Focusing on the other sweet times makes me less emotional about weaning.?

?

• Options
    Aw J!  Reread your post... you'll see... you ARE making the right choice for your family.  Hang in there!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Weaning is emotional, much more so when you are doing it when you don't want to.  :( I'm sorry!  I don't know what your health issues are but if you need your meds, you need your meds.  Taking care of yourself is important.

And pp is right, the hormonal impact of weaning shouldn't be underestimated.

• Options
    Big hugs. It is an emotional process and I can only imagine more so if you don't feel that the decision is coming from either your or your LO. But I think your post says it best that your boys need a healthy mom most.
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    oh lord i was an emotional mess when i weaned tyler. seriously i get teary eyed thinking about it now and i weaned him over a year ago! hugs to you as you through this process!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"