Baby Showers
Options

Baby Shower ?

Do people usually have another baby shower if they are expecting their 2nd child that is the opposite sex?  My friend said that she has heard of it but I have heard no such thing. Anyone?

Re: Baby Shower ?

• Options
    Yes they do. ?You dont have to but I think if they are opposite sexes then its pretty much okay cause you will need different things. ?A friend at work had a shower for both of her kids, they were both girls, and only 10 1/2 months apart. ?I dont really think she shouldve had the shower seeing as she had just had a girl, but I went but I didnt get her a lot like I did the first time. ?My best friends SIL had one for all 3 of her kids, so its up to you or the person throwing it for you.
  • Options
    The opinions vary on this board.  My family does showers for second babies.  I am having a girl this go round and my 1st was a boy who is now 5yrs old.  My mom is throwing me a shower for this baby too.  My SIL is also having another baby her DS is 7 and she is having a girl this time she will also be having a shower and most of our friends and family have no problems with it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes. I've heard of it and it is very common where I live (South Jersey) My mom had a shower for all four of her pregnancies 3 were boys and 1 was a girl . me (= But a lot of people have showers if it is the opposite sex .

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I personally don't think it matters if they're the same sex or not - the only 'different' stuff is clothing or potentially bedding if you went all gender specific the first time around. Lots of people dislike 2nd showers; I don't particularly care but I think they should be smaller affairs for only a close circle of friends. And only, of course, if someone has offered to throw you one.
  • Options

I think 2nd showers should be like 2nd weddings. Low key, tastefully simple affairs, not a go-all-out bash

I'm not against people having them (especially for opposite sex babies, or large age differences, ect...) but I think it needs to be done a little differently than the first 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Do you think people that came to your first one would be upset?  My mom disagrees with it so I doubt I would get another one.  If I end up with a girl though I thought maybe I try and have a small one and maybe not invite everyone who came to my 1st one.  I dont know it's just a thought.
  • Options
    i've heard them refered to as "sprinkles" because its not suppose to be a HUGE deal again. Just a few friends/family members coming together to celebrate. I don't know the rules for registering though.
    10-8-12: Grant is born!! Now a family of 5! 2-3-12: Totally unexpected BFP!! 12-10-10: Vera and Nora are born! *Beta#1(13dpFET):262*~ *Beta#2(20dpFET)4,835 TWINS!!!!!*~*Beta#3(@6wks)11,032 TRIPLETS!!!!! Baby A h/b: 109. Baby B h/b 112. Baby C h/b *praying* 4-6-10: FET (2 ET)....BFP 1-15-10: IVF (2 ET)..... BFN (1-28) 1-12-10: ER! 21 eggs! 10 to keep, 11 to donate :) 8-11-09: IUI #4 (FSH hCG) BFP .... 9-08: C/P 6-19-09: IUI #3 (FSH hCG) BFN 5-28-09: IUI #2 redo (FSH hCG) BFN 5-08-09: HSG: All clear! 4-21-09: IUI #2 canceled (clomid reaction) 4-1-09: IUI #1 (natural) BFN 9/08: S/A less than 5mil (10% mobile) -varicoseal surgery to fix...results worth it! 5/06: Endometriosis surgery 9/07: off of BCP A rejection is Gods protection. A dissapointment is His reappointment
  • Options
    VORVOR member
    In my area they aren't common.  I agree that if they are done, they need to be smaller, simpler affairs.
  • Options

imagekpasl7:
    Do you think people that came to your first one would be upset?  My mom disagrees with it so I doubt I would get another one.  If I end up with a girl though I thought maybe I try and have a small one and maybe not invite everyone who came to my 1st one.  I dont know it's just a thought.

Hosting your own shower is a much bigger no no than a second shower. Read a few posts below to get a sense of how many women feel about this. You could always do a brunch with friends as a celebratory thing (NO gifts are required or even implied) or do a Meet the Baby party after he/she arrives which you host and people will potentially bring gifts to, but it's not a shower and gifts aren't required.

• Options
    In our area people do and its called a Sprinkle!
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

A small "sprinkle" with close friends and family is cool but another full blown shower asking for high chairs and car seats is a little gift grabby unless there are extenuating circumstances. 

Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Oh no I wouldn't host it.  My Friend has been talking about putting one together for me.  So if anyone did it she would.  Thanks for all of the great replies!
  • Options

I think it's a personal decision especially if someone if offering to throw you one. I threw my friend a small shower for her second and it was a boy and her oldest is only 2 years but I felt that any baby should be celebrated...

?

Now my family is throwing me a shower in August and we are having another girl, but are oldest is five years old and my family thought there was enough of an age gap for another shower. We still have the bed and mattress and swing from our first. But seriously it is so hard to just keep everything it's like bins are everywhere in the basement it does get ridiculous. Our first daughter was born in the Spring whereas this baby is going to be born in the fall so it wouldn't be able to wear a lot of the clothing if I did keep it from my first. ?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"