North Carolina Babies

POLL: WWYD (traveling @ 37.5 wks)

In case you didn't see my post yesterday, here's the deal:

DH signed up to play in a rugby tournament in Wilmington this weekend. If he goes, I go. (I do NOT want to deliver without him!) On the one hand, he's really pumped about the whole thing, and I do love watching him play. Plus we're staying with friends, so we'd have a little support nearby. On the other, it's going to be damn hot, and the car ride will prob suck. And if I deliver there, my parents have to travel farther and we won't be where DH can grab stuff from the house if we need it.

So...what do you vote that I do:

[Poll]

Pregnancy stats (warning-some TMI): I'll be 37.5 weeks; as of last Wednesday I was 1.5-2cm dilated, but no real effacement and the kid's still floating; I did have that red bloody thing happen last week, and had some "show" over the weekend (pink gooey stuff) along with cramping. On Friday I had weird shooting (like make me scream) pains in my girly bits. Since Sunday, though, I feel good, less BH contrax (no idea why), and more like I think the kid will stay in a while. I have, however, been nesting like a lunatic. (I think I washed every piece of fabric in the house yesterday, have shopped more than ever in my life, and am seriously aching to scrub the bathroom grout with a toothbrush. I don't know if this is "baby's coming soon" energy or if I'm just in a phase.)

So basically, we have no idea if the baby's coming tomorrow or the first week of August. Not that anyone ever knows. But the doc made the comment last time that he thought I wouldn't make it to my due date. Which means nothing but makes me anxious. Ok. Sorry. That was long. Just click on the poll. Thanks :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: POLL: WWYD (traveling @ 37.5 wks)

• narknark member

crap. It posted too soon. I'm trying to add the other answers. hold on.

[OK. Got it now.] 

• I would call your doc and just ask what they think.

Personally, I would take this opportunity to scrub that grout with the toothbrush and stay home.  But when I was 37.5 wks pg I was friggin HUGE and would have been entirely too uncomfortable to sit in a car for that long.

• Loading the player...
  • I personally would not go. Traveling plus the heat would make it an uncomfortable trip. The biggest thing for me would be delivering at a random hospital with a random doctor. I would not like being in that situation. Were you pregnant when DH signed up for this?
    image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • When I had my 32 week checkup my OB told me I could travel 3 hours to my dad's at 36 weeks for a baby shower.  4 days later I had my baby.  Stay home.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Personally, I wouldn't take the trip. I assume that if you went into labor in Wilmington, it wouldn't be a doctor from your  OB practice delivering the baby, correct? If that is so, would you have your pg medical records transferred to the hospital in Wilmington in advance, just in case?

For me, I wouldn't be comfortable delivering my baby in a hospital with a doctor I'm not familiar with. No matter how much you plan things, once you enter the hospital your birth experience can go in any number of different directions. Just my .02

Catching up on sports news...
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • No way in hells bells would I be going anywhere but the bathroom at 37.5 weeks, STAY HOME!!!!
  • I wouldn't go - and I had a very easy pregnancy and delivered right on time.  I'm not sure I'd enjoy myself being away from home - especially having to sit in a car and then deal with the heat.
  • imageMrsLee04:
    imagemurph04:

I wouldn't be comfortable delivering my baby in a hospital with a doctor I'm not familiar with.

This.  Also, let's say you did have the baby there....do you really want a 2+ hour drive home with a brand new baby?  I'm thinking no.  The 20 minute ride home for us wasn't pleasant, to say the least.

Good point - I would not have thought of that!

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • narknark member

imagebecki777:
    Were you pregnant when DH signed up for this?

Ha. He signed up like 3 weeks ago. 

To his credit, when he told me about it I didn't say no. I did tell him that's awful close to my due date and we'll have to see. And when I asked the doc about it a couple of weeks ago, he said it sounds fine as long as I'm not progressing a ton, and that "there are great hospitals all along the way."

• narknark member
    imageMrsLee04:
    imagemurph04:

I wouldn't be comfortable delivering my baby in a hospital with a doctor I'm not familiar with.

This.  Also, let's say you did have the baby there....do you really want a 2+ hour drive home with a brand new baby?  I'm thinking no.  The 20 minute ride home for us wasn't pleasant, to say the least.

As for the doc, I've seen a different one in my practice every time anyway, and there are still some I haven't met. So even if I deliver here, it might be an unfamiliar doc. Just for the sake of argument.

But good point on the drive home.

I hate to disappoint DH...but you ladies are really making me consider pulling the plug on this thing...

• imagenark:
    imageMrsLee04:
    imagemurph04:

As for the doc, I've seen a different one in my practice every time anyway, and there are still some I haven't met. So even if I deliver here, it might be an unfamiliar doc. Just for the sake of argument.

But good point on the drive home.

I hate to disappoint DH...but you ladies are really making me consider pulling the plug on this thing...

Your office still has your medical records, something they won't have at the beach.

And even your Dr can't predict when your baby will come.  You could have zero progress one day and a baby the next. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Stay home! This will just be the first of many, many things that your DH will have to pass on when your baby comes. It'll be good practice for him! I had to miss my sister's wedding in DC (4 1/2 hour car ride) because I was about 37/38 weeks pregnant. Good thing I didn't go too..I had the baby only 5 days after! I went in for my check up, was 2cm and boom, the next morning went into full labor. If it were me, I just wouldn't chance it.
  • I would not go.  Your TMI symptoms were pretty similar to what I experienced the days before, and up to, my labor day!  So given that you are dilated and experiencing 'stuff', I wouldn't go.  But I'm also a worrier by nature and would not want to be more than 1 hour away from the hospital so if anything happened, I'd be close enough.  =)
  • I would not go...id be too worried the whole time. Especially with it being a holiday weekend and then extra traffic u will prolly get too which will maek the drive even longer. ANd good point by Mrs.Lee about that drive home with a baby. I'd take this time to just relax and enjoy the peace and quiet with DH!! Good luck!!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagelmc0714:
    Stay home! This will just be the first of many, many things that your DH will have to pass on when your baby comes. It'll be good practice for him! I

This!

Not to mention - what happens if heaven forbid you had to have a c-section or something.  Could you imagine having to be discharged from the hospital only to face a 3 hour drive home.

No Thank You!  Tell your DH he can play rugby another time.   

• I wouldn't travel that far from my dr and hospital at full term.  I wouldn't want to get stuck down at the beach unexpectedly with a newborn.  Imagine driving 3 hours home from the hospital when you check out, or if God forbid there were any complications, you wouldn't have any family nearby or a place to stay if the baby couldn't come home right away.

Even assuming no baby, I wouldn't to spend that much time in the car comfort-wise at 37.5 weeks pg, and outside in the hot sun - yuck!

Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"