TTC after 35
Options

First Response Fertility Test?

Grrr...OK, I know I saw reference to this on one of the boards here this morning but I can't remember which one and I can't find the post now!! 

Has anyone had any experience with this test or know whether it is worth trying?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: First Response Fertility Test?

• Options

I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you get a good result, it doesn't mean there isn't something else wrong. If you get a bad result, you are going to freak out.  I would recommend asking your gyn or an RE to run the tests.  This way, you know you are getting accurate results and they will discuss the results with you.  Just my $.02!

(I think the post today was on TTTC)

• Options
    QE2QE2 member
    I agree with holly and would have an RE run tests to get accurate fertility results. I think the FR fertility test just measures FSH. While FSH is an indication for fertility, it is not the only indication. I don't think the test is able to give you a number reading like a blood test would, so if you are borderline, you may think your fertility is better than it actually is. Also, your FSH can also be artificially lowered if your estrogen is high, so a low level reading on the FR would not be a true indication of what your FSH really is. Antral follicle counts and AMH are also fertility predictors, with AF counts being the best predictor. Also, as holly mentioned, another underlying problem would not be picked up by the test.
    TTC since 3/08 DOR, High FSH, Hypothyroid, Uterine Polyps, blocked tube, MFI, 5 rounds of clomid, 5 IVF attempts, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 natural conceptions=2 losses (Methotrexate, D&C) Successful DE cycle twins born 10/7/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I did the test a few months ago.  I know that a lot of people don't recommend doing it for the reasons listed above, but if it's a stick, I can't keep myself from peeing on it.

It comes in a two-pack for use on CD3.  The first test I did was very good (very faint line).  The second month the line was darker, but still within 'normal.'  Ironically, I actually had a real FSH test run the following month and it was very high.  (My doctor doesn't want to go by that test, however, since I was coming off a CP and not just a normal AF.)

My issue with the FRFT is this - I can't find the level of FSH sensitivity on the test (or anywhere). If the level is 25, then you can have high FSH (10+) and be showing 'normal,' but if the test is 8 or 10+, then a 'normal' reading is actually good (as far as FSH goes, anyway).

And as pps mention, high FSH can be masked by other hormones, so a normal reading is always in question.  But, I think a high reading is definitely a bad indication. 

• Options
    Hmm.  Today is CD3.  I'm fighting the urge to run downstairs to the CVS.
  • Options
    By the way, I have to say that working upstairs from a CVS while TTC is very expensive.  Every time I read about something on the Bump, I immediately run downstairs to buy it.
  • Options

imageDoubleFlyaway:
    Hmm.  Today is CD3.  I'm fighting the urge to run downstairs to the CVS.

Check first and see if you need to use first morning urine.  It might be too late! Sad

• Options

You must use your first morning urine. You should not have urinated for at least 4 hours prior to performing the test.

That's from the instructions.  Also, it says you have to be off BCP for 60 days, just FYI.

• Options
    Boo.  Oh well.  I'm not too worried yet anyway.  Everything seems to be working pretty normally as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    Me...I leave the diagnostics to the professionals. PPs made some good points about it.
  • Options
    imageGymDogFran:

I did the test a few months ago.  I know that a lot of people don't recommend doing it for the reasons listed above, but if it's a stick, I can't keep myself from peeing on it.

This is me too. I could resist a good POAS opportunity. So I did it to see. According to the results on the stick I was within the normal limits. I've been to an RE but that was on CD6, now I'm in the 2ww and will get my CD3 test done in a couple of weeks if I don't get a BFP. I'll post the results and let you know if they were accurate or not.

• Options

Good points all around ladies - thanks!

I am mostly interested in knowing if I have good egg quality and quantity which seems to be the only thing the test is useful for anyway.  

Sounds like it's best to leave it to the professionals though so that's what I'll do - save myself the $25.

Oh, and DoubleFlyaway - 1) LOVE your puppies!  goldens are my fav :) and 2) are you/were you a gymnast?  Just wondering cause of your nickname.  I was one myself for ages and ages.

• Options

Gymnst... I was a terrible (tall and awkward) recreational gymnast, and I am/was (still certified but got too busy in the past year and have let my association memberships lapse) a judge! 

And thanks about the puppies!  They are my pride and joy.  :)

• Options
    imageDoubleFlyaway:

Gymnst... I was a terrible (tall and awkward) recreational gymnast, and I am/was (still certified but got too busy in the past year and have let my association memberships lapse) a judge! 

And thanks about the puppies!  They are my pride and joy.  :)

Oh!  You and GymDogFran - very cool.   One of these days I may look into that but I've been out of the game for so long now that I fear too much has changed!  I shouldn't be so negative though.

I WILL have goldens again one day soon.  They are just the most lovable things.  DH says we can get puppies as soon as we have kids - yeah, I'm sure I'll be up for training puppies while dealing with infants.  Hmm

• Options

Tell your DH that puppies are good training for kids. :)  Not that I've ever had kids, but everyone who has done both tells me it's exactly the same thing, just a shorter time frame for puppies.

And, yeah, it's no coincidence about GymDogFran and me.  We met and became good friends through gymnastics, and she started judging a year after I did.  And, trust me, it doesn't matter if things have changed since you were an athlete.  You start with the basics, judging kids doing compulsory routines, and work your way up.  There are people who get into it even without ever having been gymnasts themselves, like parents of gymnasts. It's really fun and a great way to be involved with gymnastics without it being your actual career, like coaching is!  But personally, I don't see how I could do it with a demanding job + hopefully a kid.  Even without the kid yet, I'm entering a very demanding career and would rather spend my free time with DH + dogs. That's why I've decided not to re-test this year (you have to do it every four years, the year after the Olympics).  I reached some big personal goals (judging NCAA, and last year even a Division I conference championship) and am satisfied with that.  Even though it felt very weird and a little sad to sit in the stands at the few meets I went to this year.

• Options
    And judging is good $$$ money too, for a part-time gig!  I recommend it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"