Special Needs

Rec a good website for typical dev milestones

Any recs?

DS's pedi thinks it's fine that he only says "dada" & "uh oh" at 19 months but I'm a bit skeptical.  If he needs some assistance I want to make sure he gets it earlier rather than later.  (He's been to PT for walking delays so we're not altogether unfamilar with the process in general).

I also think that in CA I can get an EI eval w/o the pedi - but I feel strange doing it without his recommendation.  I guess I just struggle with trusting my gut versus the pedi's professional opinion.

TIA!

Mama to two boys and a girl: J (6 yrs), C (4 yrs) and A (4 mo)
Posts on cloth trainers/PLing

Re: Rec a good website for typical dev milestones

• This is the one I use - Minnesota Parents Know - https://www.parentsknow.state.mn.us/index.html. There are a million of them, all saying different things. According to MPK, an 18 month old should speak 10-20 words. None of my boys said a word at 18 months, one had a speech explosion at 22 months, one just after his 2nd birthday, and were well withing the norm at that point. My 5 y/o was non-verbal until 3 1/2, and I knew there was something wrong long before our pedi finally agreed when he turned 2, I only wish I had called sooner. I would trust your gut and call.
    Michelle
    3 boys (15, 8, 6), 1 girl (4)
  • Personally, I'd call EI, with or without the pedi's recommendation. My oldest was at about the same level as your DS at 18m, and I expressed some concern to my pedi. He too told me that he wasn't worried, but said that he would be if he hadn't made any significant progress by 24m. He said that I could call EI if I wanted to be proactive, but that it wasn't something he would push at that point. I listened to my gut and called anyway, and I'm glad I did. DS qualified for ST and by 2 was almost caught up to where he should have been. He still had articulation issues, but in terms of expressive speech, he was at peer level. Would he have gotten there on his own without ST? I don't know. Regardless, I am glad that we got the extra help.

If it gives you anymore confidence to call EI on your own, when I called for DS, they never asked me if anyone had referred us, they only asked what my concerns were. Good luck-- I know it's not an easy decision to make, no matter how familiar you are with the process.

DS1 9/7/05 DS2 10/20/07 DS3 1/20/09 DD 11/9/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much for both responses.  It's great to know that I'm not the only one calling EI w/o a pedi recommendation.  I just needed a bit of confidence!
    Mama to two boys and a girl: J (6 yrs), C (4 yrs) and A (4 mo)
    Posts on cloth trainers/PLing
  • www.babycenter.com has a developmental milestone chart that i take a peek at every once in awhile.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I got this site from breezy (I think :)). I really like it-- very comprehensive.

https://www.earlyinterventionsupport.com/development.aspx

DS1 9/7/05 DS2 10/20/07 DS3 1/20/09 DD 11/9/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"