Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Did OB do testing for 2nd pregnancy?

Did you have to ask your ob for betas and all of that when you found out you were pregnant again after m/c? I called mine yesterday and the lady said okay we'll have you come take a test here but didn't say anything else.

I would feel better having my blood taken to get hcg levels and progesterone. Though i am going out of town beginning Thursday to Sunday. So im not sure if its okay that it wouldn't be every 48 hours for the blood?

Also, did you all have an ultrasound at 6 weeks? What if they tell me no?

Thanks!

Re: Did OB do testing for 2nd pregnancy?

• Options
    Mine did b/w and an u/s at 6 weeks. I would ask for it (you can say it will ease your mind)... if they are unwilling... then you are stuck. GL and congrats on the BFP :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My OB does not do betas usually-except for when m/c is suspected he monitors till HCG is zero. I am going in tomorrow for my 1st appt and he will be doing bw to check my preogesterone level because I am concerned about that since it was low during my last m/c (he thinks it was low because the pg was bad, not low causing the pg to be bad-but he likes to humor me) And my u/s will be around 7 weeks. He doesn't like to do it earlier unless there is a problem because he wants to be sure they can get the HB in one swoop.

Oct 2008 m/c #1 5 weeks, May 2009 m/c #2 4w5d. BFP 6/23/09 EDD 3/8/10!
    You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face. -Eleanor Roosevelt
    After 1 year of TTC#2 BFP May 2011 m/c #3 4w2d. Off to RE.

Round 1: Femara + Ovidrel +TI = BFP! EDD 2/20/12
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    2IF does not always equal 3IF...Surprise!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My dr would have done it if I had asked but I did not want to be obsessing over any lab values making myself more crazy. Instead we had weekly u/s's, the first at 6 weeks, until we were past the 10 week mark. I think msot Dr's would be understanding of an early us but it may depend on insurance etc, so if your willing to pay for it if it isnt covered then they should be willing to do it I would think. Good Luck!
  • Options
    Mine did because I asked for it. I'm not sure if they do it normally or not as I switched dr's this time around, but I pretty much told them I was doing it before they had a chance to tell me otherwise. If you ask for it there's really no reason for them to say no!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I didn't have blood work done but did have an ultrasound at 6 weeks and 8 weeks due to spotting. I don't know that they would have done either ultrasound if I didn't have the spotting. I asked for the second u/s when the spotting seemed to be increasing because I was getting so upset.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My OB did hcg and progesterone levels at my request, and had me come in for a repeat level at their request. So I think it's a good thing I asked! They're going to do an u/s at my first appointment 7/7 at which time I'll be just over 6 weeks. You can always ask them, it can't hurt!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Joe and Ashley ~ June 16, 2007 ~ Olivia Rae ~ May 12, 2008 ~ 9:06 pm ~ 8lbs 4oz ~ 20.5 inches ~ Miscarriage of twins ~ April 16, 2009 at 6 weeks. ~ Surprise BFP 6/23/09 13DPO ~ Eleanor Rose ~ February 18, 2010 ~ 6lbs 15oz ~ 20 inches ~ Caroline Ruth ~ February 19, 2013 ~ 6lbs 12 oz ~ 19 1/4 inches

Our family is complete!

• Options

My OB did blood work when I called and asked, but won't see me for an ultrasound until I am almost 8 weeks.  I could have probably gotten in sooner, but my betas were really low my first draw, and although they tripled in 48 hours, they think I am about a week and a half earlier in my pg than LMP dating.  They don't want me there before they would be able to detect a heartbeat.

The doctors are usually very understanding and if they aren't willing to work with you then you need to look at if they are worth staying with. 

BFP #1: DS born 11/07 BFP #2: m/c @ 8w 5d d&c
  • Options
    No bloodwork prior to 6 weeks. I did have an us done at 6 weeks. I am glad betas were not done, I would have obsessed over the levels.
  • Options

My dr is doing a 6 week us (although mine will be just over 7weeks due to my schedule).  No beta testing, unless I have issues.  My last m/c (my 2nd) we did beta testing because I was bleeding.  I'm okay with not knowing my levels - I became OBSESSED last time.  I'm much better not knowing.  :)  I'm actually much calmer this time than I was with the last one. 

But, do be your own advocate....ask your doctor for what you want.  My dr didn't want to do chromosonal testing on the baby after my 2nd m/c, but I demanded it, and it really gave me peace of mind....so be your own advocate and request whatever makes you feel better!  Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"