Parenting

how long did it take for the miralax to work & other questions

the pedi told us to give her half capful of miralax and to give her some benefiber in her juice.  Saturday was the last time she pooped and it was like a rock....huge rock.

She is trying so hard to poop without much success.  She is so low key today which is not normal for her.  I'm trying things like rubbing her lower back, warm baths to help her go.  I got her in pullups so she doesnt get all upset when she sits on the toilet.

How much time do I give the miralax to work and would you also try the glycerin suppositories.  And when would you call the pedi again.

Josh-10/1/87, Brittany 3/9/91, Mandi 7/26/92, Michelle 9/11/06 image I'M GRAPE JELLY- ALWAYS AROUND & ALWAYS THE SAME If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me. For I must be traveling on now. Because there are too many places I've got to see. -Allen Collins & Ronnie VanZant My favorite verse!

Re: how long did it take for the miralax to work & other questions

• I wouldn't do the suppositories unless the pedi recommended it. The Miralax usually takes a day to work for B.

• What could be happening is that there are rocks in there that she has to get out first - before the softened miralax poop gets out.  What was happening with DS was that he was "leaking" soft poop around rocks - image of a creek with boulders in it (ick).

We see a pediatric GI - there's actually a name for this - and she had us do 3 days of pediatric enemas (very NOT pleasant) to get the rocks cleared and then started him on the miralax.

I wouldn't do the enemas or even suppositories without talking to a dr first though.

• Loading the player...
  • We just started doing this about 2 weeks ago. It only took a couple days for the Miralax to work, and it worked beautifully. But by the last day of the 2nd week, she was actually going too much - 4x in a 10 hour period, and it was starting to get diarrhea-like... So then we went 3 days w/out giving it to her, and then she was back to hard as a rock. We decided to cut it down to 3x a week instead of every day and see what happens, and that's where we're at now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"