Success after IF

Need to convince DH that it is ok to shave his head.....

Help me out here ladies, DH has male pattern baldness he has got the halo thing going on and it is getting worse.  IMO he is too young for the halo look but would look great completely bald.

Any suggestions on how to talk to DH about this?

It is such a sensitive issue for a lot of guys so I want to approach him with care in regards to his hair.

ETA:  If you are FB friends with me please don't mention this on my page as DH is on FB and would be embarrassed if he knew I was asking about this.  TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need to convince DH that it is ok to shave his head.....

• Show him pictures of some bald hotties (Bruce Willis -- YUMM!).  
    My Favorite Books image
    Books read in 2012: 58!
  • I feel your pain to some extent.  Mine has a receding hairline and recently he looked a pic I took and said, "Is my hairline really that bad.  Does it really look like that?"
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree show him some pics of guys with shaved heads that are famous. Tell him to try it just once and if he doesn't like it, his hair will grow back.

My DH started shaving his head years before I met him, it was easier to shave it with his work because it was so dirty.  He kept doing it when he switch jobs because his head was cooler and "the ladies" liked it.

• How long does he wear it?  Is it cut pretty short anyhow?

Honestly- I'm not a huge fan of the bald head.  A few guys can pull it off, but I think many more can NOT.  And really - your DH needs to do what HE is comfortable with.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imageEastCoastBride:

How long does he wear it?  Is it cut pretty short anyhow?

Honestly- I'm not a huge fan of the bald head.  A few guys can pull it off, but I think many more can NOT.  And really - your DH needs to do what HE is comfortable with.

It is cut pretty short, and I agree that he needs to do what he is comfortable with however he is constantly asking me what I think about his hair.  Until recently it never really bothered me but he is moving dangerously into combover territory. 

The halo look would be fine with me if he wasn't attempting the combover.  Guess I should have elaborated this in my OP.

• FWIW he is only 32 years old, which only compounds the issues.
  • oh not the dreaded combover! maybe ease him into the fully shaved look by suggesting he just go a bit shorter each time he cuts his hair?
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageTakYelgif:

It is cut pretty short, and I agree that he needs to do what he is comfortable with however he is constantly asking me what I think about his hair.  Until recently it never really bothered me but he is moving dangerously into combover territory. 

The halo look would be fine with me if he wasn't attempting the combover.  Guess I should have elaborated this in my OP.

OH!!!!!!  Combover territory?  Oh, hellz NO!  He asks what you think?  I'd tell him "You need to either cut it SUPER short or shave your head.  You're getting close to combover territory and if nothing else says "I'm balding and I'm not o.k. w/ it"- that does and it makes you look older than you really are."

Because combovers do!  Even if a man doesn't go bald, a super short cut I think looks good, and it does look younger and more youthful.

ETA: As you say he asks, I would be blunt.  I think this is a topic that if you dance around it too much, he's goign to think that what hes' doing isn't a big deal and that he's getting away with it!  I wouldn't hold back on this! :-)

~Benjamin Franklin

• LOL yeah I was leaning towards blunt too, just not sure how to word it without completely deflating him.  He really is such a  great guy and love him deeply so I really want to avoid hurting his feelings.
  • DH was shaving his head for that reason long before I ever met him. His grandmother used to always ask me "can't you talk him into growing his hair out again?" LOL.
  • imageTakYelgif:
    LOL yeah I was leaning towards blunt too, just not sure how to word it without completely deflating him.  He really is such a  great guy and love him deeply so I really want to avoid hurting his feelings.
    Well, blunt w/ a cushion!  But if he is ASKING you about it, he's looking for opinions.

"Honey- I know you hate that you're losing your hair.  But if there is a "good" time to lose it,it's now.  In this day and age, so many men cut their hair super short or even shave their heads because it's now a "look".  If you really want to know what will look best- I strongly suggest going super short or shaving your head.  If you let it get too long, you're going to venture into combover territory and I KNOW you don't want to go there.  Short or shaved, very attractive.  People dont' even think of men who do this as 'bald'.  Comb over - screams "i'm going bald".  Trust me on this! ".

~Benjamin Franklin

• In my 20's I was dating a guy with this issue (he was only mid-20's!).  Initially with wispy hair and dangerously close to a combover.  He looked so much better when he started buzzing it!

I wouldn't focus on what he's doing "wrong" now, but instead tell him you think he would look better and sexier with shorter hair/buzzed hair/shaved head (whichever you prefer).  A lot of guys like the upkeep, too--no more appointments for haircuts, just bust out the clippers or razor.  I used to do it for him.

• Thankfully my DH has a full head of hair, but my father and brother are totally victims of male pattern baldness. My father just has the stupid ring of hair around his head, but my brother has been keeping his hair really short, like almost bald, but not, for many years. He looks good.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • dh decided to shave his head on his own and I was the one that was nervous. He was only starting to have receding hairline. Anyway, it looks great but maybe broach it casually saying how you think he'd look great bald. If he's unsure remind him it's hair and it will grow back or encourage him to try it when he might have vaca or something.
  • If he wears it pretty long now, can you gently suggest he go shorter (maybe using the summer heat as a reason) and then tell him how great it looks?

DH and I have already talked and he agrees that when his starts to go he'll shave his head!  But he looks really good with super short hair from his swimming days.  

Good luck! 

• For my husband, it is all about the ego.  He's not obnoxious about it, but he really does care about how he looks, etc.  He is a total gym rat, when he isn't working...

If I told him that I thought it would be super hot/sexy, he would do it.  Stroke the ego and all that...

• get him a head blade and some bald guyz shaving cream!

Tell him how great he'll look!

• Oh yeah ... if he's anywhere NEAR combover territory - it's not short enough!!! 

My DH doesn't shave his head bare/bald - but uses clippers to take his hair ALL the way down - (so if you rubbed it it wouldn't feel smooth like skin - but more like sandpaper.)  Sometimes it grows in a little but it never gets beyond SUPER short - it's the only way to go when you're balding.  If he doesn't want to shave it with shaving cream - he can just clipper it himself or go get it clippered all the way down.

GL!!  Be kind, but yeah, tell him the combover looks bad. 

Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"