South Florida Babies

Downer post - but need some help

I really need to hear some words of encouragement, support, advice.  I have never really lost the weight from my first child.  With the second, we were planning so I really got into gear, joined weight watchers and lost 25 lbs - had the second as planned and gained 27lbs with her.  Now - this PG was unexpected and I've been battling with my weight and at this point I'm 50lbs overweight (prekids weight) and don't know what to do. 

Being PG again - has really been an eye opener and I"ve been eating healthy since I found out - last week.  I walked three times last week and just finished walking on the treadmill.  I'm really worried/scared - diabetes, weight gain, so many other issues with obesity and PG.  I'm thinking - for the first trimester - really try and lose some of the weight I'll wind up putting on later.  WDYT?

It's really frustrating - b/c a lot of the women on these boards looked so great during and after their PG and here I am nearly four years after having my first and nowhere near the weight I was pre-kids.  Sorry if I bummed you out...but could really use some advice...

Re: Downer post - but need some help

• I don't know where to being. Because on one hand, I totally understand where you are coming from. I have now at 15mos. finally lost all my pg weight, I feel like it took me forever and I'm still working on the muffin top but I'm not going to push myself. I would have to say if you aren't comfortable with the way you look/feel you should talk to your doctor. He/She will tell you the safest way to lose the weight if you choose to do so.

We are here to support you. I hope someone will give you better advice then my .02 cents. 

GL 

• As you know, pregnancy is an emotional roller coaster. Easier said than done, but dont stress yourself out and just enjoy your pregnancy. Keep up with your exercising, but dont let it consume you while you are pregnant. You can worry about that later. I'm certain you are a glowing pregnant mommy!!!! xoxo
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I understand how you feel - my son is 7 months old and I still don't look so great! I am amazed at how skinny some of the girls have gotten after giving birth! Yes, I should have lost a good 35lb before having my son and I didn't. It was a bad choice. I also didn't exercise during my pg - so good for you for doing that!

I did try to eat healthier and ate salads and lots of protein in the first trimester when I could handle it with my stomach issues. Now I need to lose 45lb since I have 10lb until my pre-baby weight. I have started to cook healthier. You can find lots of recipes online and even make up your own creative ones.

My next step is to start working out again. I'm hoping that the combo of working out and healthy eating will help to drop some poundage. I really don't want to get pregnant again before losing some weight. I also have a family event in October that I'm really hoping to lose some weight for, so at least I have a goal in mind....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• I really want to have a healthy PG and be there for my family - in retrospect, I really should be living a healthier lifestyle all around for myself and for my family.  We do good for a couple of days and then its down hill again.  I guess there's no time like the present. 

Yes - I have been on quite the emotional roller coaster the past two days already.  Thanks ladies for your support - I really do appreciate having other women who know and have similar experiences. 

• I think you are already doing great and taking the steps toward being healthy. I wouldn't stress trying to lose the weight now but will totally eat?healthy and?exercise that way you avoid excessive weight gain and it will be easier to lose it later.?

?Enjoy your pregnancy since even thought is your 3rd, it is still the only one you will have with this baby. Think about later when you have the baby and promise yourself that once you are out of the first couple of weeks you will get on a?healthy?diet (i totally?recommend?WW)??and excise more. You will lose the weight and get to your goal.?

Enjoy this moment. Hugs.

Barbie?

• I think the best thing to do would be to call your OB nurse and see what your options are as far as healthy weight loss while pregnant. Obviously you don't want to do anything to compromise the health of you or your baby, since you are already thinking on the right track. Good luck!! And no matter how much weight you end up with at the end of the pregnancy, you WILL lose it afterward if you give it your all :-)
  • I think if you start eating healthy and doing at least half an hour or so of light cardio a day (or almost every day), you will lose weight naturally (or at least maintain your current weight) for the first few months of your pregnancy, ESPECIALLY if before the pregnancy you weren't eating healthy or exercising. Obviously check with your doctor, but that should be perfectly safe since that's what you should be doing anyway for the health of you and your baby. Once the pregnancy is over, you can get more committed to a more serious diet and exercise routine if you really want to lose the weight, but for now, like the other ladies have said, just try to take it easy, enjoy your pregnancy, and make responsible food choices and you should be good. Good luck! ::hugs::
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • ((hugs))

It's good that you are concerned but try not to stress about it too much. 

Over weight women have healthy pregnancies and babies all the time.

:::stands up and waves:::

I had gained 25 pounds after my two m/c.  Then I had 9 ovarian cysts and couldn't exercise right before I got pregnant with Andrew.

I gained 31 pounds with him and had a completely healthy pregnancy.  I was actually at higher risk of developing gestational diabetes and pre-e because of my weight, age, and family history.   I owe the healthy pregnancy in large part to following the Brewer diet, walking every day, and prenatal yoga. 

I talked to my OB and midwife about how much weight I should gain.  They asked me to take it easy but left it up to me to decide how much.  They were very nice about not making me feel bad.  Don't go to a doctor that will give you a hard time.  There are plenty of doctors out there that will help you, not make you feel bad.

I lost 26 pounds by the time Andrew was 2 weeks old.  So I obviously gained the right amount for us.  Andrew was 7 lbs 15 oz.

Try to make smart food choices and limit the junk food and fast food.  Bring in healthy snack options.  If you are craving sweets it can be a sign of needing more protein.

Walking is a great exercise for pregnancy, especially if you weren't doing any exercise before.  Talk to your doctor before starting any kind of exercise program as they usually recommend not starting up anything new when pregnant.  Also they usually don't recommend trying to actually diet to lose weight.  Make good food choices and you and the baby will do great.

Focus on the things you can control and don't stress over the rest.  Just do the best you can.  :)

We're always here for you to vent to!  Don't worry about being a downer.  It helps to talk things out.

((more hugs))

If you ever want to talk, email me

TayLynnP AT gmail DOT com

• You are doing everything right girl! Eat healthy, go for evening strolls and enjoy your pregnancy to it's fullest!!!
  • Can't speak from experience as this is my first pregnancy but my best friend found out she has a thyroid problem and she gained probably over 50 lbs after her first baby. I think she weighed more when she got pregnant with #2 than when she delivered #1. But her doctor assured her that after #2 they would work on controlling her thyroid and her weight.

The doctors also told her because she was technically "obese" when she got pregnant with #2 that she should only gain 10lbs total with the pregnancy. I couldn't believe it.

Well, unfortunately (or fortunately) she wound up with terrible morning sickness most of her pregnancy with #2 and had to be medicated. She lost 16 lbs and delivered #2 lighter than when she got pregnant w/ her. 

Crazy story, right? Poor girl couldn't eat properly the whole second pregnancy. And now she has to really focus on managing her health and thyroid. But.....as long as you're exercising and eating the right amount of calories (and good calories, not junk) I think the weight will come off like butter! Ok so maybe I'm hoping this for me, too. I've begun walking and swimming recently and I've noticed that I feel soo much better when I exercise.

Good luck to you and let us know what the doc says.

• Thanks everyone for all your encouragement and for sharing your experiences and stories.  I greatly appreciate it.  I spoke with my doctor regarding my concerns - he basically told me the same thing - make healthy food choices walk every day for 20-30 minutes and enjoy my pregnancy. Thanks again ladies!!
  • You're going to be just fine!  I have always been a big girl and I have two amazing kids.  Just so you can see you are not alone...

Pre preg weight with #1 - 200lbs.  Delivery with #1 - 230lbs.

Pre preg weight with #2 - 250lbs.  Delivery with #2 - 257lbs.

Sadly I'm even bigger now and my health isn't a priority (as I know it should be) but either way you're not a freak.  Eat well, exercise, you'll be fine.  Larger women usually gain less weight because they use their fat cells and don't feel the crazy hunger a smaller person would.  It will all work out and your baby will be fine.  Hang in there and focus on the future. You can look hot this time next year!

• imageSnshine:

You're going to be just fine!  I have always been a big girl and I have two amazing kids.  Just so you can see you are not alone...

Pre preg weight with #1 - 200lbs.  Delivery with #1 - 230lbs.

Pre preg weight with #2 - 250lbs.  Delivery with #2 - 257lbs.

Sadly I'm even bigger now and my health isn't a priority (as I know it should be) but either way you're not a freak.  Eat well, exercise, you'll be fine.  Larger women usually gain less weight because they use their fat cells and don't feel the crazy hunger a smaller person would.  It will all work out and your baby will be fine.  Hang in there and focus on the future. You can look hot this time next year!

[/quote:

Thank you for your post and for being so open.  Its great to have people to turn to and share your concerns with that can relate.  It really does help to know that I am not alone.  Thanks again - I am going to do my very best.  Having my first U/S done today and seeing Baby U and HB on the screen really put things in perspective.  Like my other two pregnancies - I am going to enjoy every moment with this LO as he/she grows and develops in my womb.  Thanks again ladies.

• Props to Dawn from me too! You are always so positive no matter what and have a knack for making people feel better - truly like a ray of Sunshine :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• Ok here's how it worked out for me. Pre-pregnancy weight was 248! I know, I feel embarrased that I got pregnant weighing so much.  During my pregnancy I got so scared about complications that I started eating really healthy. I wouldn't limit portion sizes but I wouldn't let myself have any junk. I would eat all the brown rice and chicken I wanted but no cookies, brownies etc.    At one point in my pregnancy I was down 13lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight and the day I came home from the hospital after giving birth I weighed 248. So during my pregnancy I didn't gain any weight. Now in the 6 months since the pregnancy I have lost 60lbs without doing anything! Just in the first 3 weeks after giving birth I had lost 30lbs. The other 30 have come off more slowly. Breastfeeding is a huge factor! It has helped me lose so much weight. I really don't exercise at all but I want to start because I'm pretty flabby all over.  Don't stress out about the weight gain. Just make healthy choices and stay active! Your body will do exactly what it needs to do. I struggled with my weight for so long and the pregnancy coupled with my will to just be healthy and around for my son has helped me to lose.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"