Orange County Babies

Please tell me...

my breast will get use to breastfeeding. They are on fire right now.. cracked nipples and extremely engorged. Please give me your ideas/suggestion for let down and cracked nipples. Right now, all I do is put warm wash clothes prior to feeding.and using Lansinoh cream but neither seem to be doing their job. I will be asking the ped if I should start pumping and storing.

Re: Please tell me...

• It gets better ... but it does really suck at first. Thats all you can really do, i had the same thing ... cracked nipples and my let down wasnt to good so baby would get frustrated and i would stress that he wasnt getting enough. After two weeks my supply was good and he was getting enough. But i dont think the pain went away till around two months
  • I pumped a little before feeding to get things going and to so my nipples would give her a better grip.  I also used ice packs before and after and massaged my breasts to help with the engorgement.

As for the cracking....I'm still there.  They hurt like a mofo.  I'm actually debating on doing another lactation consultation to see if I'm doing something wrong.  Oh, and she was having a hard time latching on, so I've been using a nipple sheild to bf.  I thought that nipple sheilds would make it so I wouldnt get cracked nipples.  Nope.  Still hurts.  Like a mofo. 

Good luck, and here's to hoping things get better for both of us! 

• Loading the player...
  • like pp says it really does get better!!  i used the lansinoh cream and just wouldn't  wear a shirt for about 1/2 an hour(so that the cream wouldn't wipe away).  hang in there!!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 3/9/12 Natural M/C 4/11/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Like everyone said... it WILL get better.  Just takes times.  Hang in there... it's a hard job!!!  I remember cringing everytime she'd eat for the first few weeks, then it magically got better.
  • I know it sounds like a lifetime away, but give it 6 weeks and I swear, it is so.much.easier.  All of a sudden you and baby both get used to the latching, your nipples get better, the engorgement eases.  I used to take a hot shower a few times a day and let the water run on them.  That helped with the engorgement.  As for the nipples, I suggest using the lansinoh as often as possible.  I think at one point I was walking around topless with my nipples covered in that stuff! 
  • Totally agree with the other posts.  It does get better.  Medela sells these gel pads and I swear it was like heaven everytime I put those bad boys on.  They are a little pricy but help with the cracking.

• I second on the gel pads.  The ones I had, you could use them hot or cold. 

I know how hard it is right now, but it really does get better.  I think for most people, most of the pain goes away about 3 weeks.  Mine lasted 3 months, but it was still worth it.  Hang in there.

• It will get better...hang in there! If you can pump, I would, it will help with the engorgement. I was pumping about 10 oz at a time when my milk came in. It tapered off over the next week or so. That's where I got my freezer supply from that I used when I went back to work. Having that was important to me, it allowed dd to be ebf for over 10 months. GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Making lefse at the cabin **Scott 6/8/96** **Avery 7/24/08** **Brendan 7/15/10**
  • Agreed w/ pp...gel pads are great. I pumped right away, I had a freezer stash in no time. good luck, it does get better though!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • here is a great tip that my lactation nurse gave me: put cabbage around your breasts (but do not put it over your nipples). Make sure the cabbage is extra cold.

Its amazing and works great.

unfortunately you are not going to be able to start pumping till your little one is about 4 weeks old.

• augs06augs06 member

Just another offer of support; it does get better!!!  I used the Medela Purelan ointment on the CN and it helped a lot.  Sometime between 4-5 weeks my body just "got it" and it was smooth sailing from there.  GL!

forcing sisterly love since 07.06.10
  • I would wait to pump for a few weeks and let the baby regulate your body.  Engorgement will last only for a week or so.  Keep using the nipple cream before and after every feeding.  Also use your breastmilk to put on them to help them heal.

I had pain until week 4, but it got much more tolerable at week 3.  Those first 3 weeks were horrendous and I have no idea how I made beyond that pain.  It gets better, so much better.  I LOVE BF'ing now and would do the pain again in heartbeat to be able to BF now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"