North Carolina Babies

Eli update

As I predicted, Eli did not pass his swallow study this morning.  So we still have to thicken his liquids, and now they want to start some physical therapy.

The pedi said his wounds were healing nicely, and he doesn't need stitches and there is a low risk of infection.  He said by the end of the week we would probably be the only ones who noticed it.  And he can get in the ocean and the pool by this weekend!  So there was our little bit of good news.

Savanna is still with the IL's, we are still trying to find a suitable home for her.  They are willing to keep her as long as we need, but not permanently.  I miss her so much!  Cody misses her too, but he's having fun with Salem.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Eli update

• So sorry to hear about his swallow study but good news on his bites.  I hope you guys have a great time at the beach!
    image Connor Reeves - July 4, 2007 Naomi Raye - January 26, 2011
  • That's a bummer on his swallow study.  I'm glad he's doing better after the dog bite.  I hope you're able to find Savannah a home soon!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry about the study : ( Do they know why it is still happening? Does it have anything to do with him being early? What would the therapy involve?

Glad his bites are healing up and it wasn't more serious. It's a tough decision to make, I know!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That stinks about the swallow study. Although glad to hear about his bites... and it is good he can go in the pool this weekend!
  • I am glad to hear his bites are healing okay. Hope you have a great time at the beach!
  • Aw, I'm so sorry he didn't pass!  What sort of physical therapy are they going to do?

I didn't respond to your post about Savanna, but I am really sorry about what happened.  It sounds so scary!  I can imagine how hard it would be to have to make a decision to re-home a dog for that reason.  Can you try going through pet finder?  I know you're really worried about the kid issue, but I think there are lots of people out there who would love a good dog who will not be around kids much.  The woman who took Frisco (our dog for a short while) was like that... she had a horse farm and no kids.  It was just her & her dogs, and they were all spoiled.  :)  I hope that you can find an ideal situation like that for Savanna.  GL!

• Sorry to hear about his swallow study. What consistency are you having to thicken his liquids to (nectar, honey, etc)? If you want to, shoot me an email b/c one of my friends just found out WHY he's having swallowing problems & I thought you might want to know (even though it's really rare).

ETA: Glad he's healing up well & hope you can find a home for Savanna soon! 

• imageBackthePack:

Sorry to hear about his swallow study. What consistency are you having to thicken his liquids to (nectar, honey, etc)? If you want to, shoot me an email b/c one of my friends just found out WHY he's having swallowing problems & I thought you might want to know (even though it's really rare).

ETA: Glad he's healing up well & hope you can find a home for Savanna soon! 

We have to thicken to honey consistency.  We tried nectar today, and it went straight down his windpipe.  I would LOVE to hear what your friend found out, even if it is rare. 

They haven't really offered any reason as to why they think he's doing it, other than his muscles just aren't strong enough or working right.  It may or may not have anything to do with his prematurity, there's really no way to know.  But it is more common for preemies.  But most babies outgrow it around a year. 

I have no idea what the PT would involve, I think just having him do things with his mouth and tongue to strengthen and stretch the muscles.  And they would come to daycare to do it, which will be awesome.

Back - I don't think I have your email, but you can email me at fourxgirl at hotmail dot com.  Thanks!

• Mikey- I didn't get a chance to respond earlier but I am so sorry to hear about the situation with Savanna. I am glad Eli's wounds are healing nicely. I hope you are able to find a good home for Savanna. I wish I knew someone who was looking for a good dog.
    I am sorry to hear about Eli's swallow test. When will they test him again? I hope the PT works.. This may seem stupid but wouldn't a speech pathologist help more with the mouth than a physical therapist? IDK just wondering.

Enjoy your beach trip. 

• Sorry to hear about the swallow test, that's a bummer.  Hopefully the PT will help.  And hope you guys can find Savanna a new home soon! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• imagemarryingacoach:

I am sorry to hear about Eli's swallow test. When will they test him again? I hope the PT works.. This may seem stupid but wouldn't a speech pathologist help more with the mouth than a physical therapist? IDK just wondering.

Enjoy your beach trip. 

An SLP is the person administering the swallow studies.  I'm not 100% what kind of therapist they're going to set him up with.  I think an occupational therapist maybe.  I'm sure someone that specializes in oral therapy.  He's had an endoscopy (I think that's what it was called), and there's nothing physically wrong with his throat.  So it's either a strength or coordination thing.  The SLP is the one who recommended it, so I'm putting my faith in her that this is the best route.

• imagemrsmikey:
    imagemarryingacoach:

Enjoy your beach trip. 

An SLP is the person administering the swallow studies.  I'm not 100% what kind of therapist they're going to set him up with.  I think an occupational therapist maybe.  I'm sure someone that specializes in oral therapy.  He's had an endoscopy (I think that's what it was called), and there's nothing physically wrong with his throat.  So it's either a strength or coordination thing.  The SLP is the one who recommended it, so I'm putting my faith in her that this is the best route.

Oh yes of course I would trust them as well. I was just curious that's all. Whatever therapist he sees, I hope they get it figured out so you do not have to continue thickening his drinks.

• imagemarryingacoach:
    Oh yes of course I would trust them as well. I was just curious that's all. Whatever therapist he sees, I hope they get it figured out so you do not have to continue thickening his drinks.

I know, and I probably didn't ask as many questions as I should have!  I'm sure there will be an evaluation and I can ask alot of questions then.  Whatever works though.  We go back in 4-6 months for a retest.  I would give anything for this to be gone.

• I'm glad he is healing well and I hope the therapy helps his swallowing. I hope you meet a great therapist.
  • Oh A I know you were hoping for a diff outcome. Im sorry!!!

Enjoy the beach and hopefully the therapy will work and it wont be like this for much longer. Hugs!

• I'm sorry you guys will have to continue to thicken Eli's liquids.  Hopefully the physical therapy will help.  I'm glad his wounds are healing nicely and that he will be able to play in the ocean and pool this weekend.  Ugghh, I can't imagine how much you guys miss Savanna.  I hope you can find a home for her soon. It seems like you have a lot on your plate, hang in there!
  • Mikey, I just responded to your other post about his accident, I am so sorry you are having to deal with all of this! I really hope the PT goes well and hopefully this will clear up in time. Best of luck to you with everything!
  • I'm sorry about the swallowing test. I hope everything improves with PT. I'm glad to hear that his wounds are healing and he won't be out of commission for very long!
  • oh poor eli! sorry to hear he's still aspirating Sad glad his bites are doing well. poor guy!
  • Sorry about the swallow study but really I don't feel bad for him. We discussed this remember?  Just give him milkshakes!

Have fun at the beach!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"