Baby Names
Options

Boy name ?

DH and I have been desperately trying to decide on a name for our LO. We both really love the idea of naming him after DH. However, when we mention this to people...they moan and groan about it. Why is it that people are so opposed to naming a boy after his father nowadays? What are some of your opinions on the issue?

Re: Boy name ?

• Options

I personally believe the child should have its own name, but if you and your DH loves the idea than do it, that?s the best thing about having your own baby.

• Options

I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all!

It's slightly *boring* IMO, just because I think people look forward to hearing what name you've selected, and if he's going to be a Jr. there's no surprise. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    As long as he gets his own middle name. 
  • Options
    imagemclaugaa:

I personally believe the child should have its own name, but if you and your DH loves the idea than do it, that?s the best thing about having your own baby.

Ditto.

Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It is personally NMS, but my sister and her fiance are going to name their son after him.  As long as you don't mind your son and husband being referred to as Jr. and Sr. their whole lives then go for it.  It's your child. 
  • Options
    I'm married to a third, and IMO it's a lot more difficult for my DH to distinguish himself as an individual. Any time I say his name, people automatically assume I'm talking about his grandfather. Oh, and the social security and credit issues are a pain too. My FIL's house shows up on DH's credit every once in a while.
  • Options

For me, my DS was already getting DH's surname.  what about me and honoring MY family?  I'm a part of the mix.

I also find it a bit... egotisitical, in a sense, I guess. 

plus, from a credit standpoint - I would NEVER EVER do this to my child.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    maybe give you son his own name, but have is middle name be the same as your DH's
  • Options

imageGomez322:
    maybe give you son his own name, but have is middle name be the same as your DH's

Ditto. DH's family does it the other way around and then the son goes by his middle name, but I think that's a southern thing.

• Options

imageGomez322:

That's what were doing.  Smile

• Options
    I'm not a fan of naming a child the same name as his father but I don't mind it when they use the father's first name for the child's middle name.  That's what we're doing!  I'm glad I like DH's name, lol.
    My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Options

imagemrs.Awoods:
    I'm married to a third, and IMO it's a lot more difficult for my DH to distinguish himself as an individual. Any time I say his name, people automatically assume I'm talking about his grandfather. Oh, and the social security and credit issues are a pain too. My FIL's house shows up on DH's credit every once in a while.

DH is a Jr. and these, along with the fact that DH hates being a Jr., are the exact reasons not to do it.  The SS/credit issues are a very real problem.

• Options
    I am going to use my DH's name, his name is Andrew but he has always gone by Andy so we are going to name our son (if we have a boy) Andrew and call him Drew... and also give him a completely different middle name. I just am not a fan of the sr, jr, etc. thing...
  • Options
    ctanactana member

My DH is a JR and did not want our son to be a III.  I can see the credit issues being a big problem too!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Honestly, I don't know. I don't see the problem with it. Now naming ALL the kids after dad is a little odd, but just one? Doesn't bother me. I still think the kid has it's own identity.  My brother is James and my dad is Jim and it has never been an issue. I think it can cause a few hassles with phone calls and letters, but as long as they go by different nicknames, it's easier.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"