Preemies

Pls recommend your bottle / nipple

We were using the disposable nestle and similac nipples they sent us home from the NICU with.  Then realized they are single use only.  Called the NICU and they told me to get "regular flow" nipples.  We've tried Avent, playtex ventair, evenflo, fast, medium and slow, both the silicone clear nipples and those yellow ones.   Either they are too slow or too fast.  Any suggestions?  Also, when we brought him home, he would take 2 oz. in about 20 min and is now taking sometimes 30-35 min, is this bad?  Thanks!

Our miracle IVF baby - D 6/09 & J - Surprise! born 9/10!!!

Re: Pls recommend your bottle / nipple

• Dr Browns Level 1 worked the best for us at that stage.

And FWIW, our NICU nurses told us that we could keep reusing the nipples we came home with, but we ended up throwing them out after about 5 or 10 uses because they started getting chalky and gross looking.

• We use Dr. Browns also and they make a preemie flow nipple as well.  Lily was only 13 days when she came home, so it worked great for us!  Also, we moved her up to Level 1 about 1 month after that, and we are just making the transition to Level 2 now because we have to add cereal to her bottles for reflux!
    3/22/09 - Lily Grace, born at 33 weeks, 2 days
    9/12/14 - M/C @ 7 weeks, 1 day (ectopic)

• Loading the player...
  • Our NICU nurses told us we could re-use the nipples they sent us home with, even if it stated one time use only.  We had a really great nurse and she sent us home with plenty. We just made sure we washed it well and checked it all the time for any tears or rips.  We didn't re-use too much and changed it often.

We used the Dr. Brown's preemie nipple to begin with.  They are the only brand that made preemie "size".  Then we moved to the Avent slow flow and moved from there.  My DS gets impatient and doesn't like the slow flow too much, so we moved up pretty fast.

• We use Dr. Brown's bottles and I really like them. They have different flow nipples including preemie.
    Conceived twins with IVF January 2008. Lost baby a at 20 1/2 weeks due to premature rupture of membranes and held onto baby b. Baby b (Brandon) born at 26 weeks and 1 day on July 5, 2008. Wesley born full term on June 29, 2011. My blog http://karenandstu.blogspot.com Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image
  • DS did fine with the avent 0month nipples (they say 1 on the actual nipple). Buuuut I hate the bottles with a passion. I still can't figure out how to screw the lid on JUST right to stop the leaking. So for that reason alone I do not recommend them. If I had to to it all over again I would have invested in Dr. Brown's.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks everyone!!
    Our miracle IVF baby - D 6/09 & J - Surprise! born 9/10!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"