Working Moms

Has it gotten easier or harder for you?

All I heard when I first started back at work (ds was 12 weeks old) was "It gets easier, I promise!"

Well, it DID get easier, until he was about 5 months old. Then all of the sudden he turned into this little fascinating person and it kills me to leave him all day and miss watching him learn by the minute.

This is indeed NOT getting easier.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Has it gotten easier or harder for you?

• I have found it easier in terms of not worrying about him so much during the day. I am more trusting now of the nanny as well. I have NOT found it easier though when I am in the office and I have to pump. What a HUGE pain in the assss. I'm not tempted to give up, but I get angry because it shouldn't be this hard to do what's best for my baby.
  • Hmm...well, I can't really relate to that bc Ds was formula fed by choice from day one.
  • Loading the player...
  • Easier in terms of trusting daycare and knowing he will smile for me when I pick him up. Still hard in terms of missing DS, getting it all done and balancing my marriage/son/work/family&friends.

Sunday nights my stomach just churns but Friday nights I'm in heaven!

• I go back and forth. It's harder some days to leave them, but mornings when my DD is having a tantrum there are times I'm glad to drop her off at daycare.

To the other poster...pumping is a pain, but hang in there.  It is so worth it for me to be able to keep nursing at night, not to mention I can still eat a ton and not gain weight  =)

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageStellasmom:
    Hmm...well, I can't really relate to that bc Ds was formula fed by choice from day one.

I didn't mean to offend. Breastfeeding is what's best for my DS and it works for us. It's all about what works for you.

• imagemadhatter2003:

I go back and forth. It's harder some days to leave them, but mornings when my DD is having a tantrum there are times I'm glad to drop her off at daycare.

To the other poster...pumping is a pain, but hang in there.  It is so worth it for me to be able to keep nursing at night, not to mention I can still eat a ton and not gain weight  =)

thanks! It is certainly worth it. I love being able to eat like I'm pregnant too! haha

• Most of my working mom friends were brutally honest with me.  They told me it actually gets harder and so far I think that they are right.  The bright side is that I love DD's day care and her teacher.  I am completely comfortable with her being there...I just would rather her be with me.  With each new week I feel more and more guilty, sad, and just plain run down.  I don't feel like I have the time or energy to get everything done.  My house is a mess, I am not preforming as well and I should be at work and I feel like my marriage is suffering.
  • I would say that the balancing is easier for sure, but the missing him during the day is still hard. Then again, he had a horrible, fussy weekend due to teething and other issues so dropping him off today was not that badAngel
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • I'm not going to lie, it's still hard for me! I hate leaving him! He is so much fun right now, it kills me to drop him off in the mornings.
  • It has definitely gotten easier. I was a mess for the first year. Now that I have a toddler, I don't know if I would even have the energy to stay home with her! I think working makes me a better, more patient mom to her and it works better for our marriage too. I'm very settled as a working mom, but it definitely took a while to get here. I hope its not as difficult an adjustment with #2.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • For me easier because he has gotten progressively happier and smarter over the past two years he's been in daycare.  Some days he comes home doing things and I think 'he never would have known that or done that if he were home with me'.  And then when he turned into a toddler and became so active, I was reminded that not only would we drive each other crazy at home but he would be bored to tears.  I would love to spend a few more hours a day with my kids but otherwise, it has definitely gotten easier. 

I have a lot of friends that stay home and for the most part, my son is the most well adjusted and easy going (and oddly enough by far the healthiest) of all of the kids.  I know my friends are happy with their choices to stay home but they always comment to me about what a great kid Andrew is and how they can see that him being in daycare has been really good for him. 

• It didn't get easier for me until she was older....maybe one or two.  The first year was a series of ups and downs.  And over the years there have been moments when it has been hard again - it mostly coincided with the times when I hated my job ;)
  •  Now that we have a schedule, its easier but I still miss him like crazy during the day.
  • I have been back to work for two months and it has not gotten easier for me. I am distracted all day long wondering what my babies are doing and what our Nanny is up to. I am close to finding a way to stay home with my girls.

• I totally agree w/ you.  I sit here all day thinking about what we did yesterday and how much FUN he is and how I just want to be w/ him right now.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• No, it's gotten much harder. I hate it. I don't want to SAH full time, but I'd love to work part time. I feel like I miss so much.

• It depends on the day for me, but mostly easier.

It's awesome that he's really becoming his own person. Part of this, is that he loves playing with his "friends". I truly think that he has the type of personality that he would not enjoy being home with just me.

• It's getting easier I think, We're getting into more of a routine and she's so much fun that I just look forward to the evenings and our weekends.
  • imagedmsn:

It depends on the day for me, but mostly easier.

It's awesome that he's really becoming his own person. Part of this, is that he loves playing with his "friends". I truly think that he has the type of personality that he would not enjoy being home with just me.

Ditto.

And I think that a lot of whether it gets "easier" or "harder" on you is entirely under your control.  I don't allow myself to dwell on how much I miss him - instead, I focus on all of the positives I get from working and how much he loves his friends at school.  It makes even those hard days a lot easier to handle.

I can only imagine how miserable life would be to always be dwelling on and pouting over something that isn't going to change.  I don't choose to live that way.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Our routine has gotten easier, and it has gotten easier to not worry about DS being to little and helpless in that big daycare room.

However, I miss him like crazy.  THAT has not gotten any easier--I still fantasize about quitting my job and just hugging my DS and DD all day.

• I think that my missing my kids during the day goes in stages. Especially when I just had DD#1, I really missed her and felt like I was missing out on all of the important things.  However, I did notice that when there were long times of break (vacations, holidays, long weekends), that somehow I always caught her at times of great growth.  She said her first word on vacation - she took her first steps while DH was on spring break (he's a teacher) ... all of those things made me feel better.  Now, she's 3 and cannot stop talking about her friends at school - she learns so much that I would never be able to teach her and has wonderful relationships with the other kids.

With DD#2, I was used to the routine of having one in daycare and the time that I needed to lessen my guilt with dropping them at daycare.  Granted, my days are 250% busier than with just one (and now with #3 on the way, I'm planning on talking to God about extending the day to 36 hours), but I spend every awake moment with my kids being with my kids.  Just time being/playing/interacting with them.

I don't have a choice whether or not to work, so I try and make the best of everything and every moment that I do spend with my children.  Just remember a happy mom=happy kids, and that's all that matters!

• imageStellasmom:

All I heard when I first started back at work (ds was 12 weeks old) was "It gets easier, I promise!"

Well, it DID get easier, until he was about 5 months old. Then all of the sudden he turned into this little fascinating person and it kills me to leave him all day and miss watching him learn by the minute.

This is indeed NOT getting easier.

I feel the exact same way. It gets harder b/c we have more fun together now and we can communicate to some degree. I cry all the time...I would rather have had my maternity leave now!!

• It's harder and easier.  It's harder on Mondays, because I love my weekends with DH and DS so much.  The Monday blues just came on a couple of months ago, but I have started to dread Mondays.  I miss them DH and DS both like crazy on Monday.

But, it's easier the rest of the week because I like my job and am happy I have it.  Once I get into the week, I am totally fine.

• Much, much easier, compared to when I first went back to work. I chalk that up to three things, in this order:

1. I'm in a different job that I like a lot more.
    2. DH is in a different job that he likes a lot more, too. He's working shorter hours (which translates into more time to spend with DD and me!) and is just happier in general.
    3. I see how much DD enjoys her days. Even on the weekends, when we get together with friends with kids, she prefers playing with them to playing with me or other adults. Who can blame her? Kids are so much fun Smile

When I first returned to work, DD was happy, but neither DH nor I was... now we're all happy. That makes it so much easier.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• It definitely gets easier as they get more difficult.  Wink  My kids are 2 and 4 now.  Most days I need a break before breakfast is over.  Surprise

Seriously, though, it has gotten easier.  I still have days where I miss them.  But, we're in a good groove, the kids like school and we have a nice amount of time together.  I think it helps after they've been going for awhile and you can see that they are still growing and thriving just like they were when they were with you 24/7.  You miss them, but you know they are doing just fine.

• armoarmo member

Harder for me, because they were just sleeping, eating, pooping babies before, but now they are so so darn cute!!!  They play, flirt, dance, and this is the perfect stage where they obey and don't cause trouble. 

I do enjoy the quiet time at work and doing brainy things there, but there's nothing like holding and hugging your girl while you still can.  ugh.

• About the same or easier and harder but in different ways. Until they're about 14 months old, they're angels, DS doesn't have tantrums and eats what I ask him to. After 14 months he's picky with his food and he's super active so he's much harder to handle. So as DS became more demanding we started to figure out how to balance (cleaning, cooking, etc)  more so to me it's about the same just handling different challenges at the different stages. All my co-workers with older kids tell me it gets harder because when they start having soccer practices and swim meets they suck even more time out of you.
  • I think when people say "it gets easier" they are referring to your ability to manage your time and manage yourself as a working mother. Not that it gets easier to leave your DD....because that never gets easy.

As for me, it did get easier when...

DD was STTN-much easier to be alert when you have had a full night's sleep

Off the bottle and on all table food-No more preparing bottles and packing food to day-care

Once they are weaned-no more pumping at work and constantly calculating in your head how much more or less you need to pump at what feeding

• I agree easier in that I don't worry about her as much, but not easier in general. I'm really having a hard time with it lately. I hate leaving her on these beautiful summer days, and she's so much fun. I LOVE the weekends and have a hard time going back to work. I feel like I'm not doing a very good job at work lately and have a very hard time getting motivated, and I'm also stressed about not being able to be with DD as much as I would like.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • DH drops him off in the morning, which I think really helps!  For me, it's a million times easier - he is so happy where he is, and I love my job. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"