Birth Stories

Gabriella's birth story - 2 weeks and 2 days early

X&P from 3rd tri:

Gabriella was born at 37w5d on June 7th, 2009 at 7:10pm. She was 7 lbs 10 oz and 20.5 inches long.

The weekend of 6/6 I felt like complete crap. I was so uncomfortable and was having early labor signs (contractions, pressure, constant bowel movements, spotting) that I was dismissing as nothing so that I wouldn't get my hopes up. That sunday morning I started having timeable contractions at about 8.30 am. From 8.30 till 9.30 they were anywhere from 4-10 minutes apart, but mainly they were about 7-8 minutes apart or so. So, I figured I should take a shower and shave in the event that this was it. DH did the same. From 9.30 till 10.30 my contraction were 4-6 minutes apart, lasting about 40 seconds. I also had some blood tinged discharge during this hour. So, I called the on call doc and he said come on in. On the way to the hospital the contractions started coming in what felt like 2-3 minute intervals and they started getting pretty intense. We live about 35 minutes from the hospital. We get into triage and my BP was high--um hello I was in pain! I was checked by a triage nurse and I was about 2.25 cm dilated and 70% effaced. My contractions were getting pretty painful at this point and with my BP that high, she was fairly certain we were there to stay. My fave doc was on call and he came in about 15 minutes after that... I was at about 3 cm at that point. He decided to break my water. Wow--talk about a weird feeling! After he broke the bag I was admitted into a labor and delivery suite. Um, yeah this is where the pain gets unreal. I was asking for the epidural pretty much as soon as I got into the L&D suite. I was lucky that it was not a busy day (despite the full moon) the anesthesiologist was able to give me my epi pretty fast. It did not hurt at IV hurt more than the epi. After I got the epi, it was pretty much smooth sailing. My BPs in triage were pretty high so they took b/w to make sure it wasn't pre-e. Of course everything came back fine and once I got the epi, my BP was totally normal. About 1 hour or so after I got the epi I was 3-4cm, 80% effaced. They decided to give me a little bit of pitocin to make sure I continued to progress at a good pace. 2 hours later I was 6-7cm, 90% effaced. An hour after that I was ready to push! At this point they turned down the epi so I could feel my contractions and know when to push. I thought I was in pain before.....holy cow, once I started to feel those contractions I thought I was going to rip in half, they were that intense. Shortly after they turned down my epi I started pushing and while I felt like I was getting no where b/c I couldn't feel anything down there aside from pressure, apparently I was doing pretty well. It took a while to push Gabriella's head out....she got a little stuck. But it felt amazing to push her out. It was the most surreal and beautiful moment of my life. After the doc caught her and quickly suctioned her, they put her on my chest and I was in heaven. It was amazing. I delivered the placenta right after and then the doc stitched me up as they cleaned up and took care of Gabriella. I was floored when they said how big she was! I still am...I had 2 1st degree tears.

Time since her birth has completely flown by. Living life in 2-3 hour incriments will do that to you. I have never been so tired or so in love in my life :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Gabriella's birth story - 2 weeks and 2 days early

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards