Stay at Home Moms

Scared to Breast-Feed

I do plan on exclusively breast-feeding our baby (on the way).  However, I'm really terrified of the prospect of breast-feeding.  It seems like it will hurt...somehow seems unnatural to me, even though obviously it's the most natural thing in the world.  I'm not sure I'll be able to - what if I'm one of those people who can't get the baby to latch?  It's just...scary!  

Did anyone else experience these feelings about breast-feeding before you began and got over it?  

TIA. 

Re: Scared to Breast-Feed

• In a word, yes. I was so worried that I wasn't going to be able to BF for whatever reason. My advice is to take a class or read up on BFing before baby gets here. Then while you're in the hospital, use every opportunity you get to work with a lactation consultant on latching. I'm not going to lie to you, it does suck in the beginning. There were a few points where my DS was nursing and I'd be crying b/c I was in so much pain. But it does get way better! You just need to learn to take care of your body so it can heal quickly.
  • It only hurts for the first 2-6 weeks.  I bought formula before DD1 was born and ended up giving it away.  I was not set on 100% BF but did with both girls.
  • Loading the player...
  • BFing seemed a bit strange to me to before I had DD.  After delivery, though, any sort of reservations you had/have about your body go out the window.  You'll let anyone check your stitches or whatever they need to do.  I found BFing to be similar.  It was important for me to feed my baby so I really looked at BFing as just another part of my life.  But hey, it's certainly not for everyone.  I agree with PP that taking a class will certainly help.

Also- you'll find some great answers here on this board because everyone on here is so nice, but there is a bfing board that you can ask questions to as well.  

• With my first baby, I hated it. My nipples were cracked and bleeding at one point because she wasn't latching correctly. I gave up after 5 very long painful weeks! 

However, I thought I would give it another try for my second and I am going on 7 months and I LOVE IT! It is so convenient and my baby hasn't gotten sick or anything. My other daughter was sick a few times by now. It doesn't hurt this time either and I think it is all due to the fact that my 2nd daughter is a pro at it.

So, try it out and see how it goes. :0)

• Have you considered a non-hospital breastfeeding class? What I mean is, a class perhaps given by a midwife or lactation consultant or Le Leche League leader? (my opinion only: I think the hosptial ones are skewed to promote formula use because the hosptials are in cahoots with the formula companies - proof positive is they give out Similac diaper bags, samples, etc)

If that isn't available to you (the class) perhaps contact a LLL leader to have a meeting - they're SUPER nice and very friendly. They can give you a real-world perspective on what its going to be like and also be there once the baby arrives to assist you in the transition to successful breastfeeding.

Are you delivering with an OB or midwife? Have you considered a doula who also is a lactation consultant or has breastfed her own children?

There are sooooooooooooooooooo many options out there for you (I didn't look where you're located but even if you're in the sticks of the back woods of the unheard of town, there are options!).

Some resources for you:

https://www.llli.org/

kellymom.com

Call your local hospitals or, preferably, birthing centers (if they have them in your state) and ask about breastfeeding support groups. It may sound silly to you but they are AWESOME! A group of women out for the same cause and experiencing the same-ish journey - very empowering!

• I was nervous that we'd have problems with latch, pain, etc but I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have any issues. ?It was one of my most favorite parts of the first 6 months. ?I'm just now working on weaning - crazy how quickly it goes.

I would recommend the book "So that's what they're for" as well as the websites that PP suggested.

?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I felt a bit nervous as I approached my due date, but I was 100000% committed to BF and intended to do so for 1 year+.  I thought it seemed strange at first because I'd obviously never done it, but it came very easily to me and Jude.  I had awesome LC help out at the hospital and f/u the weeks after birth.  It only hurt (at latch, not after) for about 6 wks, then it was completely pain-free.  I BF for a little over 13 months and it was a great experience.
  • It's okay to feel "weird" about it, I did!  But like everyone says, it somehow feels natural when it is your baby.  That said, I never really felt comfortable BF in public but don't have a problem with it at all, to each their own.  I had no issues with pain, engorgement, etc.  I BF for 9 months and then DD weaned herself.  Good luck to you, and if you don't BF that's okay, too. 
  • This may not help you, but I had the same worries about breast-feeding before my baby was born. To be completely honest, I am extremely sensitive, and I worried that it would be too painful. When my daughter was born, we tried and tried to breastfeed in the hospital, but we could not get it right, and I was in agony every time we tried. Some people may look down upon it, but my husband and I decided that breastfeeding was not for us. I was just not comfortable with it, and I didn't want feedings to be painful for me or my daughter. I thought it wouldn't be healthy if my daughter could sense that I was in pain, or hesitant about nursing. We started her on formula in the hospital, and she is a perfectly healthy 14 month old now. I don't regret using formula one bit. 

I tell you all of this, because society today really pressures young mothers to breastfeed. My husband had to argue with the nurses to get them to even bring us the formula for our baby. They just kept fighting us saying they could send in another lactation consultant. I had seen like 4 of them already.

If you are able to breastfeed, then that is wonderful. I have nothing against breastfeeding. Just know that if you are not comfortable with it, there is absolutely nothing wrong with formula feeding either.

• I won't lie, it does hurt in the beginning, but if you have all the "tools" to help you get through it, you will be fine.

When DD went to latch, I would take a deep breath, count to 10 while exhailing, and that was when the pain would stop. This relaxation technique helped me throught he pain part. Soothies, helped me through the other. Target sells them with the breast pump stuff, you will not regret having them!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The only reason I was nervous about BFing was because I was over-informed-- basically, I had read too much about all the things that could go wrong "just in case".  For me, BFing was really easy.  It hurt like hell the first 2 weeks (as in, swearing under my breath and sometimes tears) but once my milk really came in everything was fine.  Didn't hurt at all.  I just use Lansinoh cream from time to time to keep my nipples in good shape.  She is 3 months so far and I've exclusively BFed with no problems.  Good luck!

• Go to a La Leche League meeting! Go to several before your DC is born.

This was SO helpful to me because I was... Seeing people BF. Hearing them talk about it. Hearing their issues and their solutions. Learning what to do, what I wanted to try.

Plus, if you have any questions or issues later, you can call them and ask and it's easier to ask really personal questions like that if you've already heard them talk about other personal things.

And for the record, it does NOT hurt everyone. I had a sharp sensation when DD was newborn, but I never had the pain that some experience (no bleeding,  no cracked nipples, no mastitis, only some mild soreness). I only point that out because I think it's nice to know that a horrible start is not guaranteed.

- Jena
  • Ok, I'm answering this post and have been sitting here for about 10 minutes trying to reword things so they don't come off as "high and mighty" or anything like that. I never had any issues with breast-feeding so I feel like everything I say seems like it could offend someone. I will try to answer and hopefully it will not come off as offensive to any who were unable to BF.  

Everyone told me when I was pregnant that I was going to have so much trouble BFing and that you had to really want to do it to be successful. I was lucky enough that DD is a little piglet and never had any issues with BFing. On the other hand, my best friend couldn't get her DS to latch. She had to bottle feed him at the hospital and really struggled to get the BFing down. The good news is that she was eventually able to BF and did so until her DS was about 6 months old.

I think the most important thing to remember is that it is not easy for everyone. Sometimes people do have problems with getting their LOs to latch, but there will be lactation consultants on hand at the hospital to help you and you can always call La Leche League.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Try to read up on it now, before the baby comes. Also, the pp's suggestions of a lactation consultant are good ones. Especially if you are feeling scared, or if there are people in your life that may not be very supportive or educated about BF'ing. For me, it was fine. DS latched w/ no problems and I weaned at 13 months. It hurt a little in the beginning but not too much. I never had chapped nipples or anything like that. But, everyone's experience is different. If you do have a hard time, that does not mean you should give up. Most people get it down soon enough. It is great that you are committed and seeking info now! Read up and get yourself comfortable with it. Hopefully your hospital has supportive nurses in the maternity ward, too. Remember, BFing has SO many advantages. You are truly giving your DC a great gift by doing it. (And it's free!)  GL!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • You're really early in your pregnancy... I always heard that God gives you 9 months because you'll need that time to adjust to everything, and I think the idea of BF can freak some people out.. but after thinking about it and learning about it usually by the time your LO is here you'll be more at ease. ?It didn't hurt with me at all, but my DS did have a tough time latching. ?Just don't let the nurses give your LO a bottle, my big mistake... they scared me with jaundice and other crap and he liked the bottle better, GL everything will work itself out, and if BFing doesn't work out it's okay too. ?Formula isn't poison! ?We BF for 3 weeks... ?I wished longer.
  • I am really nervous about it too, you definitely aren't the only one!
  • KL777KL777 member

Yes.  What helped me was taking a breastfeeding class.  I felt more confident that I could do it successfully after taking the class.

As you said, it is not unnatural.  Our society is so twisted and wicked these days that what's right is made to seem wrong.

In the beginning breastfeeding does hurt.  It stopped hurting for me after the first 7 weeks and it is very much worth it.

Best wishes to you.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"