Pregnant after 35
Options

Evan Graham is finally here! (c-section birth)

Evan Graham was born via C-section this past Wednesday AM. He weighed 8 lbs 14 oz and is 21 inches long.

I had to have a c-section because he was in a transverse lie position. (Meaning he was sideways.)  By the time they took him he was more breech so they didn't have to give me a nasty incision like my doc feared she might. The c-section itself wasn't too bad. The recovery has been a ***, though, I won't lie. After the operation they wheeled me to my recovery room and my mom and Dh were there w/ the baby. For the rest of the day I was sweating profusely because I had these leg pressure cuffs on my legs to prevent blood clots. For some reason I was just so hot and dripping w/ prespiration. Baby was nursing well, so that was good. The operation was at 10 AM and it was probably 10 PM before I got out of bed to do anything. Big mistake. I was so freaking sore, I could barely walk. I could not stand up straight. When the nurses took out the catheter, I had a lot of trouble peeing. Basically I could not go. They had to give me 2 straight catheters (where the insert one and drain your bladder in one sitting.) Talk about being totally mortified. Then I was having HORRIBLE gas pains, not only in my stomach, but some that crept up into my chest and shoulders. (I never knew this was possible, but apparently the gas can creep up into your chest and shoulders..who knew?) Like, it seriously felt like I had cracked multiple ribs; I could barely breathe. Not fun. We came home today (Saturday) and I'm still really struggling. My back (which is bad to begin with) really took a beating from the hospital bed and I'm so stiff and sore. I'm literally walking around bent over like an old lady and I have zero strength. I feel so old and pitiful. I have to wonder if I would feel this bad if I were 10 years younger. It's seriously frustrating not being able to move around.  I'm a little worried about my 3 1/2 year old coming home tomorrow.

BUT on the positive side, Evan is perfect in every way. Perfectly healthy, nursing great, sleeping great (so far...knock on wood!) and I'm feeling blessed. Hope I'm not scaring anyone on the c-section. I consider myself a pretty informed prepared person, but I've been surprised at the tough recovery from it.  We are done w/ babies, though, so thank God it was the 2nd pregnancy and not the 1st or Caroline might be an only child.

Hope everyone is doing well! I'm glad not to be pregnant anymore!

Re: Evan Graham is finally here! (c-section birth)

• Options

I'm so sorry your recovery has been so tough for you - I hope you have enough support around you to help while you heal.  You underwent a major surgery, so don't beat yourself up about not bouncing back right away.

Congrats on your baby boy - glad to hear he's adjusting to life outside the womb!  Be sure to post pictures when you can! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Congrats and what a neat name!  Graham is my maiden name so I'm pretty partial.  Again congrats!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    That is a beautiful name, Congrats on a healthy baby boy!! U hope u have a speedy recovery
  • Options
    Hey! Glad you posted- was hoping to get some news soon! Wow- what a story. So sorry your recovery has sucked so much. I hope you feel better soon. I love your son's name! Thanks for sharing your story.
  • Options
    imageakgram:

Congrats and what a neat name!  Graham is my maiden name so I'm pretty partial.  Again congrats!

Graham is my mother's mother's maiden name. She has a large family and we are very close w/ the Graham side. I wanted to use Graham as the 1st name, but I lost that battle and had to settle for it being the middle name.

• Options
    PeskyPesky member
    Congrats and hopefully your recovery will pick up some speed now you are home!!!

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options

Sorry the after effects of the c-section has been so hard for you, Blue.  But I'm so glad that Evan Graham is here and doing well.

Congratulations!!!

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Options
    Congratulations, and a speedy recovery wish to you!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

congrats!

I'm sorry your recovery has been rough - that sucks!

FWIW- i sweat like a pig the first couple days after my vaginal delivery.... with my c/s I only sweat that first night and the next day I was much better.  It's more about hormones than those boot things unfortunately.

the catheter thing really sucks! ugh- you poor thing!!!

you'll feel better soon!!! I'm 2 weeks out from my c/s now and feel GREAt - no pain meds anymore... and so much less bleeding than with my vaginal delivery.

• Options
    M.AmyM.Amy member

Thanks for sharing it all with us. It makes me squirm but it is better that we are as informed as ossible about possible outcomes.

Do you have help when you get home?

• Options
    congratulations on healthy baby!! sorry the recovery has been rough. I hope it gets better for you soon!
  • Options
    I'm sorry your recovery has been so rough.  Glad that Evan arrived safely!  Hope that you are feeling much better soon.
    DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing, I hope you feel better soon!
    image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Congratulations on Evan, I'm glad that everything's perfect with him, even if your recovery is really hard.  I hope you feel better soon!
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Congrats on Evan.  I hope you start to feel better soon.
    image Sandy RIP 1-11-09 imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry that the recovery has been so tough. Hopefully, you'll be back to yourself soon. Congrats on the LO!!
  • Options
    Congrats.  Sorry the recovery has been more difficult than you imagined.  Give it a few more days, I'm sure you will be feeling better.  Glad to hear your son is doing so well.  All the best!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"