Pregnant after 35
Options

birth story (long and i didn't proofread, sorry)

Ok, in order to get the full story we must begin a week before the induction. As you all might recall from my whining post several weeks prior, I have been single throughout most of this pregnancy. My man is a decade younger than me and I have no patience for any type of b.s. I broke up with him twice and we proceeded to make ourselves and each other miserable. Well, about a week before the induction we decided to go on a date and talk about how we were going to handle things. In short, after an agonizing many many hours, we decided that we would try for real to work things out this time. Not for the sake of the family but because we do really love each other (blah blah blah). Things were going cautiously well between us for the week. Fast forward to the night before the induction. I was nervous and could barely get myself calm. I finally got myself to bed about one in the morning. At one-thirty my three year old decided it was party time. I was up with him until three. At five my alarm went off. Ugh! I got up, ate my usual breakfast, jumped into the shower, finished packing my bags, and meditated a bit. I went to make sure my man was ready and he was just getting up! I was not happy. I told him I was leaving in ten minutes and if he wasn't ready he could catch a ride with my ex and the kids to the hospital(we didn't want more than one vehicle there at the hospital). He wasn't ready. I left without him. I got checked in and they began the pitocin at seven-thirty. I asked the nurse to find me a rocking chair so that I wouldn't have to labor in the bed the entire time. So, I sat in the rocking chair re-reading my favorite OSHO book (Intelligence: The Creative Response to Now). The contractions began about eight o'clock. They got difficult around eight-thirty. My best friend arrived at the hospital at nine o'clock. My ex, my daughter, and my man arrived around nine-thirty. My man immediately came over and began massaging my legs and doing whatever I needed to be more comfortable. I was not able to talk in between my contractions any longer as they were coming now every two minutes. For those of you familiar with the machines they hook you up to when you are being induced: my contractions were ranging in 130's and in-between i didn't ever go back to 0 - I stayed around 30-40. This is exactly why I hate induction. My dr broke my water around eleven-thirty. I was 2.5 cm still and 75% effaced. Ugh. This is when the back labor began. Woohoo! The nurse came in around one and checked me, per my request. I was 4.5cm and baby was at station +1. The pressure and back pain were immense! She helped me back into my rocking chair after checking me. It was getting really difficult to move at all. The pain was constant! Within ten minutes I began shaking uncontrollably which just added to the fun of the experience. In the back of my head I knew that this probably meant I was going into the the transition phase, but having just been checked I kept telling myself that there was no way that could be happening. I told the nurse I need an epidural because there was no way i could go another six or more hours of this hell. She told me that she knew I was progressing quickly, but I insisted that she get the anesthesiologist. They helped me back into the bed. My man was wonderful. He was right there helping me without reservation - even when I considered biting his hand. lol. I realized what i almost did so I instructed him to get me a cold wet wash cloth and he gave it to me to bite during the peak of my contractions. Believe it or not, this helped immensely! The anesthesiologist showed up relatively quickly, and they kicked everyone out of the room. I was having to "ha-ha-ha" through my contractions at this point so the anesthesiologist had the nurse check me again because he could see I was close. When checked I was 8.5cm already! They told me that my dr was in surgery at the moment and that she may not make it to deliver my baby, but if i get the epi it could slow down my labor and give the dr time to come deliver. They also turned off the pitocin. The epi was was done, but was not working. He explained that it was because I was so far along that it takes considerably longer to work, if it works at all. The nurse was talking me through the contractions and had another nurse go get my family. My man came back right away, and text messaged the news to the rest. They showed up soon after. I learned later that from the time they checked me when i was 4.5 until they checked me again and i was 8.5, only thirty minutes had elapsed!! I was still feeling the contractions completely, but only on one side and i could rest in between the contractions because the back labor pain was now gone. It was getting really difficult to not push during the contractions so the nurse sent someone to get my dr out of her surgery so she could deliver my baby. My best friend and my man were the ones who helped me hold my legs, while my ex and my daughter stood just on the other side of the curtain, still inside my room. My doctor came in and checked me, turned off my epidural (per my request) and immediately put on her gear. My man said that I only pushed six times before Orchid was born completely..so it must have been like three pushes until she crowned. The feeling of having a baby pulled out of your body is the craziest feeling in the world. It hurts and feels like this gigantic relief all at once! Orchid Hope was born at two-twenty-two in the afternoon. They placed her on my chest immediately and asked my man if he wanted to cut the cord. He didn't hesitate at all when replying yes. I was surprised because he went into this whole thing rather disgusted by the process and didn't want anything to do with cord cutting. She was perfectly healthy and beautiful and we all fell in-love with her immediately. My dr said "Kandie, she is your smallest baby!" They took her from me and did her APGAR, cleaned her up, and weighed her. When she weighed seven pounds exactly we were all shocked. We knew she was my smallest but didn't realize she was THAT much smaller! I went through the usual over bleeding and passing giant clots thing that I always do. They freaked out, like they always do, but in the end they were able to get it under control right before drastic measures were taken. I do not take blood, so they had to increase my fluids and iron, etc. I was fine and up walking around by four-thirty. I stayed the whole two days and my man refused to leave our side that whole time. He roomed in with us, and was just wonderful. We brought the baby home and with one exception, the entire family is thrilled and completely enarmored with our new addition.

Re: birth story (long and i didn't proofread, sorry)

• Options

Wow - what a great story, and you recall it with such detail!  I'm so happy that you and your man reconciled beforehand so you were not alone - I know you had your best friend, but how special it must be to share that moment with the person that you created this perfect little being with!  

Reading your story gave me a warm fuzzy! :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Hey Miss Kandie-

I loved reading your story! I hope you and your man can work things out. Sometimes relationships are difficult in the beginning. DH and I fought for a year (constantly) before we both gave up the fight and knew we were meant to be together. Now, we are so incredibly strong together (we've been together two and a half years). We both laugh at how childish we were. Relationships just aren't easy sometimes.

Anyway, I am so glad Orchid Hope is here. She's beautiful! I hope you're having a relaxing Sunday!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    M.AmyM.Amy member

What a beautiful photo of Orchid. She looks so content.

It is wonderful the father has been so supportive. Maybe this is a wake-up call for him!

• Options
    Wow!  What an experience!  I'm glad you came through everything okay, and that your man is stepping up to be a good partner.  Congrats!
    DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
  • Options

Thank you for sharing, so very glad that everything turned out great in the end, your daughter is beautiful!

image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

What a great story!  Yuck about the back labor.

My husband's a decade younger as well.  Fortunately he's also really stable and mature, and loathes drama, so our early speed bumps didn't take so much to get past. 

I'm so glad everything seems to be working out so well for you!  :) 

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. I am glad that you were able to work things out with your man and he was there to support you.
  • Options

Kandi,

Thanks for sharing your beautiful daughter and her birth story with us.  I am glad you got your happy ending!

One random thing sticks out for me though - was your ex husband there at the delivery as well as your new man?  If so, you are an amazing woman to keep the family close even after moving on w/ your life. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagefauxshelley:

One random thing sticks out for me though - was your ex husband there at the delivery as well as your new man?

I wondered about this too. The only thing I want less than for my ex to be there would be for DH's ex to be there. But good for you for being able to have that kind of relationship.

Congratulations on little Orchid and I'm glad you and your man were able to work everything out. 

• Options
    Wow that is great! It sounds like your man, when confronted with the situation really turned it around. I really hope you can find a way to make it work. DH and I had some on again off again times but we found our way. I am also amazed at your ex being there. Its great that you two can handle those types of things for the kids.
  • Options

i just noticed that i had more responses.

Yeah, my ex, Ari's father, was there. He is one of my best friends - he and my man get along very well as well. We all hang out together on a regular basis. We even collaborate on music together. It's unconventional, but the children are very happy with the outcome as are we.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"