Stay at Home Moms

SAH & BFing

I am EBFing my DS, Jake, who's 6 mo.  When I was working I pumped during the day and always ended up with more than he needed so I was able to freeze a few bags a week. Now that I'm home full time I'm having trouble finding time to pump in between taking care of my 2 boys and the house, as well as finding a time to do it when I have enough milk to make pumping worthwhile without taking away from what DS will need to eat.  But since I need a few bottles a week for longer outings and what-not, my freezer stash has gotten VERY low.

When did you find time to pump a reasonable amount?  How did you work it into your schedule?  Thanks!

Re: SAH & BFing

• I used to do it first thing in the a.m. while DS was still asleep, or while he was in the swing/highchair/playmat/exersaucer/pnp.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have an oversupply (did with DD#2 also), and pump one hour after my LO goes to bed at night. I can pump at least 6oz. in 10 minutes.

It's useless to me, since DS refuses all bottles. So did DD#2. Only DD#1 took a bottle of EBM. 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a teacher and was in your situation during the school year.  Now that it is summer, I pump in the mornings while I feed DD her breakfast at the table about an hour after she last breastfed.  Then I give her some puffs to munch on while I put the milk into the bags and clean up.  Works really well as a little breakfast routine for us.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers1 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • It's very hard to find (uninterrupted) time. Usually I am only able to pump at night after she's asleep. We've had to supplement with formula sometimes too because I never have been able to build up a freezer stash. 
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Honestly I never figured it out and that was with just 1 kid!

I sometimes pumped after DD was in bed, but I never did it while she was awake. It gave me a tiny freezer stash for the babysitter to use (less than once a week). I never would have had enough to use while we were out so I just nursed her then too.

- Jena
  • I would pump maybe once a week w/ DD2.  I NIP w/ her though, so she never had a bottle.  She had BM on her cereal, that was all.
  • I thought pumping a nuisance, so I just regulated my supply so I just made enough for the baby.
    SAHM to DD1 (7), DS (5) and DD2 (1)
  • My suggestion is to pick a time where you can pump once a day at that time (or around that time) and your milk supply will build up so that you'll have enough to pump a decent amount each day.  And you only need to pump for 10-20mins if you do it on both sides.

It is a bit of a hassle but if you're EBF and you want to do it, this is how I was most successful at it.  And I suggest doing it after a nighttime feeding, but whatever works best for you...

• I pump first thing in the morning on the other  side while DS eats.
  • imagemrsjbaker06:
    I pump first thing in the morning on the other  side while DS eats.

I don't typically bother because I NIP & don't plan on leaving her very long anytime soon (she's only 3.5wks old) but I was gonna suggest what Mrsbaker did.  I've done that & it works pretty well, though it's awkward a bit.  I just tell my other 2 to give me some peace so I can feed the baby & they usually will.

AKA Carol*Brady! IHO my upcoming 10yr Nestiversary--Back to old screenname. My own Marsha, Jan & Cindy... imageDesigning a Life Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"