Pregnant after 35
Options

What to expect when PG when turning 35

We plan to TTC the end of this summer and I turn 35 in October so if all goes well, I'll be 1 or 2mos pg on my birthday. Do they "treat" me right away as AMA status because I will be (ugh, hate that term) a short time later? And if any of you know, what different things will likely occur/get asked?

TIA!!

Re: What to expect when PG when turning 35

• Options
    I turned 35 right before I delivered S.  If you have no other complicating factors, I don't think you're considered high risk or anything like that.  Other than the NT scan being covered by my insurance because of my age, I don't think my pregnancy was treated any differently.
  • Options

I turned 35 right after we conceived. So you will get the AMA label as well. Other then stamping AMA all over my charts and the NT scan at 12 weeks, I think I am having the same experience as others.  Just because you are 35 doesn't mean you are High Risk, just a greater probability you may become high-risk.  I think biologically and medically speaking the ideal time to have a baby is in your early 20's which is why we get the AMA tag......now I don't know about you but mentally, emotionally, financially, commitmently (OK not a word) I was is no place to have a child when I was 22--not judging --just saying.

So we look forward to you joining us when you are ready - Don't worry about your age there are many woman over here having beautiful healthy babies!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    steverstever member
    I started TTC the month I turned 35 and got pregnant before my birthday, and I was considered AMA.
  • Options
    I think it will all depend on what your doctor's protocol is, but most OB's these days are not going to treat you any differently - especially for just turning 35.  You might be offered more diagnostic tests/screenings than a typical 20 year old.  But, unless you have some other kind of factor or health issue, don't expect really to be treated differently (other than maybe getting the speech about risk factors when you're older)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am 38 and nobody ever mentioned any higher risk to me. I also didn't get the label of AMA.
  • Options
    I'm seeing a midwife. She has never referred to me being AMA. She actually said many of her clients are in their late 30s/early 40s now. I was 36 when I conceived. 37 when I deliver. This is my first pregnancy.
  • Options

imageSFAug07:
    I am 38 and nobody ever mentioned any higher risk to me. I also didn't get the label of AMA.

Oh, you got the label, they probably just didn't TELL you!! LOL!

Oh and OP, your DD is beautiful!

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    imageamylinn9:

imageSFAug07:

Oh, you got the label, they probably just didn't TELL you!! LOL!

Oh and OP, your DD is beautiful!

Aw, thank you :)

And thank you everyone for your experiences and information!

• Options

I turned 35 a mere 8 days before I delivered DS.  I was considered AMA throughout that entire pg.  Everyone told me that if you turn 35 at any point during a pg then you are considered AMA.  Now, not sure if all docs do that but both of mine have (I'm 36 now expecting #2).

ETA: Since I didn't have a pg prior to 35, I'm not sure how different it was.  I'm also military so I don't know if that changes anything.  But I saw a genetic counselor for the 1st pg and also had the "big" ultrasound at Maternal Fetal Medicine which took place at a civilian hospital versus the base hospital.  The same has happened for this pg: genetic counseling (which I declined since I'd already done it but gave them the paperwork from the previous genetic counseling session) and I had to go to a civilian hopsital for Maternal Fetal Medicine again.  I only have 2 appts with MFM though.  The 1st pg I only went to MFM 1 time.

imageimage
  • Options
    I am turning 35 in November and the baby is due in February.  So far, my doc is not treating me as AMA.  I suppose that can change, but for now she has not mentioned it at all.  I feel lucky because she was a first time mother after 35 and is sensitive to that issue as well.
  • Options

The only difference I've noticed is that my file at the OB's office is bright red instead of the usual green.  Oh yeah---a siren goes off when I walk through the door.

But maybe they just do that for 40-something first time moms.

• Options
    At my ob/gyn office they've treated me no differently than women under 35, with the exception of recommending an amnio, which I declined after getting normal results from the screening b/w and NT scan. If anything, I'm more worried about being of AMA than they are.
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Options
    RaeAntRaeAnt member
    Nothings been said to me, I'm 36. However, I did notice on my last receipt, it said High risk. I"m kinda annoyed by it, just because no one has said anything to me about anything.....my weight ( I'm 5''5' /200lbs) nor my age and any additional complications. We only talked about amnio and testing due to Dh's health history. I now it's for my age, but it still annoys me.
  • Options

I was 36 when I got pregnant, 37 when I had DD.  I expected to be treated differently because of AMA going into it.  I figured doctor's appts would be more involved, I'd have more tests, I'd have more ultrasounds, etc.

Know what? I had LESS of that stuff than some of my cousins pregnant at the same time as me who were in their 20s.  Initially my doctor was upfront that statistically speaking I was at greater risk but she also pointed out the risk wasn't astronomically high.  Just higher than someone younger.

In the end I had a textbook pregnancy.  I only had two ultrasounds in total.  There was nothing out of the ordinary the entire 42 weeks of the pregnancy. In my experience, being AMA was no big deal.

• Options

I turn 35 ON my due date and I got labeled. I think it is different at every office and with your insurance. I got offered all the testing and glad I did. I am considered high risk at my office.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"