Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Hot dogs - ok for 9 month old?

i've gotten conflicting "opinions" on this. What's your take?

Re: Hot dogs - ok for 9 month old?

• CHI-06CHI-06 member
    yes...why not?
    Daughter born July 2008; Daughter born March 2010 Son born August 2011
  • As long as you cut it into small pieces, sure.
  • Loading the player...
  • my mom took DS to his 9 mo appt and the Dr said no. DS had one at DC the other day and my mom freaked.
  • Why did the doc say no? Because of the choking hazard?
  • They are fine as long as you cut them in quarters.  Length wise then lengthwise again then in little pieces
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • My Pedi said not until after a year. Then even after the year to be cut into triangles not squares. No rounded peices.
                     7/08, 1/12, 2/14, Due with baby #4  2/12/16 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Not sure I would do it yet.  There is TONS of sodium in hot dogs and I believe nitrates which I would imagine aren't good for a baby.  But I may look into a healthier version like a veggie dog or something.
  • I gave DS a few pieces of my hot dog last week. He loved it. They aren't the healthiest meat, so I wouldn't make it a daily food, but as long as you cut it into small pieces I don't see a problem w/them.
  • imageNewBlue:
    Not sure I would do it yet.  There is TONS of sodium in hot dogs and I believe nitrates which I would imagine aren't good for a baby.  But I may look into a healthier version like a veggie dog or something.

Veggie dogs still have almost the same amount of sodium, and they are still very processed.

That said, I don't see a problem with a kiddo having this every once and a while. I buy organic all beef nitrate free hot dogs, and I dice it up very small. 

• The pedi said no at his 9 month appointment.  Granted, one reason is it's not the healthiest meat, but the concern was more with the casing- even cut it doesn't chew up easily and becomes a choking hazard.  I'm sure it'd be fine if you cut the casing off

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's the nitrates not the chocking hazard. I'm thinking if you got the organic one's it may be ok. I've read a lot of stuff about hot dogs and bologna being really bad. Try googling it.
  • my DD had turkey dogs at daycare and loved them
  • imageC.P.C.:
    It's the nitrates not the chocking hazard. I'm thinking if you got the organic one's it may be ok. I've read a lot of stuff about hot dogs and bologna being really bad. Try googling it.

No, it is the choking hazard. Cut them up SMALL, very small, they don't dissolve, they are very firm. I'm pretty laid back about most things but they even scare me.

• imageMrsRenee:

The pedi said no at his 9 month appointment.  Granted, one reason is it's not the healthiest meat, but the concern was more with the casing- even cut it doesn't chew up easily and becomes a choking hazard.  I'm sure it'd be fine if you cut the casing off

This.

I cut the casing off of DDs for the LONGEST time.  Even now (at 19mo) I cut them in to quarters so that they are triangles.  I keep the casing on but the pieces are tiny.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"