Baby Showers

Invite question.... about mom

My girlfriends are throwing me a shower and it's going to be our group of close friends from college.  The shower is going to be held in a town that is two hours from where I live and also 2 hours from where my parents live.  The host of the shower asked me today if I wanted to invite my Mom and my two sister-in-laws to this shower.  Personally, I would love it to be just us girls from back in the day.  Is it a must to invite my mom to the showers that other people throw for me???  I'm scared that if she does get a courtesy invite, she'll really want to go.... which wouldn't be a bad thing, she'd be the only "older" person there.  So, if my mom is a "yes", does that mean my sister in laws are supposed to be included as well??  And what does this mean for my mother-in-law and my husband's sister???  I'm almost positve I am going to have a more formal, "grandma-ish" shower in my hometown as well.  Help me if you have any answers that will help ease this little bit of shower stress!!!

Re: Invite question.... about mom

• I don't t think you have to include them if it's just a friends thing. I guess it depends on your mom & if it will turn into some drama. My MIL was invited to the shower that my mom had & my mom is invited to the one MIL is having. Those are like family things though, if it's just going to be you & your g-friends, I don't think it's rude to not invite her. I know that my mom would understand. As far the SIL, MIL, etc I wouldn't worry about inviting them. If you invite them to more than one shower, I'm sure they will feel obligated to bring a gift , which is definitely not the intention. IMO I would just leave it as a friends thing. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you don't think your mom will be offended and make a big deal out of it, just don't invite her. My mom wouldn't be angry, and I understand what you're saying about wanting to have a 'friends-only' type of shower.

You're the best judge of your mom's reaction though. Do YOU think she'd be upset to know she's not invited to a 'friends-only' shower?

• Loading the player...
  • I was not invited to my DD's work shower and didn't feel offended.  I would say...not to invite your mom and maybe explain why (there would be no way to invite her and not your sister-in-laws, grandma, etc. etc...the list could go on and on).  I'm sure she'll understand...at least she should.

My mother was not invited to my church shower OR my work shower...back in the day.

• you can invite who you want but dont be upset if you DONT have a "grandma-ish" shower in your hometown then; you really shouldn't assume anything.
  • No- you don't have to invite her.

And even if you do, that does not mean you have to invite your SIL's. Or your MIL.  Or your Dh's sister. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• If its just that small group of friends then no. If people from other groups are being invited then yes.
    TTC since 2005. DS via IVF - 02/10 Baby #2 - due 10/16/11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"