Detroit Babies

How much to pay babysitter?

The woman that is going to watch my daughter is in her late 40s early 50s.  She has been taking care of children for 26 years.  When I asked her how much she charges she said whatever you can afford.  I am afraid to underpay her.  This is what she will be doing.

It will be 2 days a week for 81/2 hours a day.  My daughter will be 51/2 months old.  I will supply food, diapers, and bottles.  I will bring her to her house and pick her up.  What do you think is an appropriate amount?  I have no clue!

Thanks!!!

Re: How much to pay babysitter?

• If she is really seasoned I don't understand her response to be honest.  Even those that love kids don't work for free.  I would ask her again.  Tell her your new at this and need her to guide you.  You want to start off right and things in ? are not really the best way.  Just tell her you want her to be happy. 
  • I pay about $60/day for a center. Most babysitters I know make at least $10/hour.

I agree with pp ... ask her again. If she's been watching kids for that long, she's got to have a "range" that makes it worth her while. Or ask her for a reference and then call that family to find out what they paid.

• Loading the player...
  • My neighbors pay $40 a day for babysitter while she is working.  My other neighbor is debating watching a teacher child and she old me the going rate was $40 a day.  For daycare I will be paying $210 week. 
    image Sandy RIP 1-11-09 imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"