LGBT Parenting

HSG Question

Has anyone had an HSG prior to ttc?

I know I've read of people who have (or have advised others to) and I'm wondering why they chose to do so.

I'm usually into natural approach, but I like the idea of finding out if there are any blockages before spending time and our precious sperm trying. I think my ob/gyn would be open to it but I want to get some other opinions.

Here's what I was thinking of emailing her in response to her response after my first inquiry:

"Hi Dr XXX,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. The reason I asked about the HSG is because I am interested in getting a sense of whether there are any potential issues with the rest of my reproductive system as a result of, or in addition to, my.... I would be very disappointed to learn after months of trying that I have reproductive health concerns that need to be diagnosed and/or treated. I would love your professional opinion about whether I, with my medical history and specific reproductive plans, would benefit from having this diagnostic test done."

I want to make it clear that it would be diagnostic in hopes of it beging covered.

Any advice or suggestions?

Met 07/07/05, Wedding 07/07/07, Legal Marriage Ceremony 12/9/12, Baby Boy Born 08/09/13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: HSG Question

• Your email sounds great.  I did the HSG for those same reasons.  It was covered by insurance so I didn't want to spend months and $ on sperm only to find out that my tubes were blocked.  In addition, it's my understanding that the HSG can help detect abnormalities in the physical structure of the uterus so that was an extra bonus for me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We didn't do it right before, but early in the game. I think it's a great way to know what is going on upfront, especially when using expensive donor sperm. If you can do it ahead of time, go for it :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • I did it early in the game as well and it opened a partially obstructed tube- whew glad I did that.   Like you I am normally pretty nat. used acupunture and herbs as part of ttc and plan on a midwife as soon as I am bfp.  I would say go for it!
  • I guess I'm in the minority here but I would wait until you have at least 2-3 BFNs under your belt before doing the HSG. (Hopefully you won't even make it to that point!)  It's an invasive, expensive and in my case, extremely uncomfortable procedure - totally worth it if you have cause for concern, but a little over the top as a preemptive strike, in my opinion. Yes, there is the cost of sperm and IUIs, but those are relatively minor expenses in the grand scheme of ttc/parenting, and much less than an OOP HSG which - hopefully - you won't end up needing at all!

I waited until after 6 or 7 BFNs before I had the HSG. I'm not suggesting you wait that long, but maybe a cycle or two just to see if you get lucky?

Just my 2 cents! Good luck with the insurance coverage.  

Kendyl and Mary - June 10, 2006

• our RE did it after three cycles to make sure there weren't any issues with her. i think it's a good idea to do it at some point early on, either before starting or within the first 3-4 cycles. imo it's one thing to be trying at home for free and be able to try for a bit before checking, it's another to be spending hundreds (or thousands!) of dollars a month on procedures and sperm for a long period of time if there's an issue that needs to be addressed--especially if you can get the HSG covered by insurance.
  • My HSG was done after our first BFN but before our second insem. It was mostly covered by insurance as a "diagnostic" procedure, so I only had to pay for about $75 of it. I was glad we did it, but we would have waited another cycle or two if it hadn't been covered.

I don't think I'd do it far in advance of ttc. My RE said (and I have heard others say) that there is an increased chance of a BFP in the 3 months following a HSG (something about it clearing small blockages), so I'd do it either after you start cycling or immediately before you start. You can have it done in between insems if you do it after you know you aren't pregnant and before you ovulate-- we didn't have to take a month off or anything.

For me, it was pretty painless. I took 3 advil about 30 minutes before, and I only had some mild discomfort during the procedure (nothing after). Our RE did mine, and I have heard that sometimes they hurt less when being done by an RE (as opposed to who, I don't know... a tech?).

married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • Thanks for all the advice!

To elaborate, I would only get an HSG done in two situations:

1. in September (right before our first insem) as part of a follow-up exam with my ob/gyn (who's the chief of the department at the hospital she works at) and only if covered by my insurance

2. after a few bfns, if it would still be covered at that point (it may not be if they associate it with fertility and I may have different insurance then) or if we've moved to an RE who advises it at that point

So I went ahead and sent the email as written and will wait for her response and opinion. I have a feeling she will say I can and that it can be coded as diagnostic. If she comes back and says I should wait a few cycles after trying without success, or if I find that it's not covered, we're fine with waiting and seeing what happens. 

Met 07/07/05, Wedding 07/07/07, Legal Marriage Ceremony 12/9/12, Baby Boy Born 08/09/13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Dw is having an HSG test Thursday.  Can any of you please give us an idea (some did above) how much it might hurt during and what to expect after in terms of crampy feelings, etc?  Thanks much - she's a little nervous.  Yet, I have to admit, I am a little excited that she might be more fertile after :)
  • imagemadisonpeas:
    Dw is having an HSG test Thursday.  Can any of you please give us an idea (some did above) how much it might hurt during and what to expect after in terms of crampy feelings, etc?  Thanks much - she's a little nervous.  Yet, I have to admit, I am a little excited that she might be more fertile after :)

no personal experience, but hearing from many people who have had them, the amount of pain really varies from person to person.  Overall, though, it seems like the pain is short lived.  Definitely have her take a few pain killers prior to the procedure. best of luck!!

• imagemadisonpeas:
    Dw is having an HSG test Thursday.  Can any of you please give us an idea (some did above) how much it might hurt during and what to expect after in terms of crampy feelings, etc?  Thanks much - she's a little nervous.  Yet, I have to admit, I am a little excited that she might be more fertile after :)

i haven't had it done, but my wife did. our RE told her to take 4 iburofen about an hour before the procedure, and even with that it hurt. i would ask your doctor about what they reccomend she takes.

she did say that the pain was over as soon as they were done with the procedure, with no lingering effects, so your DW will probably only be uncomfortable or in pain while they're actually doing the procedure (less than 5 minutes in my wife's case). also, be warned ahead of time that you will probably not be able to go back with her for the actual test. i know here only the patient and the doctor/nurses can be present for HSG tests, and it took me (and another woman's husband who was there at the same time) by surprise.

• imagebluedaisyus:

also, be warned ahead of time that you will probably not be able to go back with her for the actual test. i know here only the patient and the doctor/nurses can be present for HSG tests, and it took me (and another woman's husband who was there at the same time) by surprise.

That's because of the x-ray machine.  They don't want 'non-patients' getting unnecessary radiation.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"