D.C. Area Babies

XP: H1N1 (swine flu) in Alexandria daycares/preschools

Our daycare closed early yesterday...1 confirmed and 2 suspected cases of H1N1. My boss's neighbor's 3yo child is in a daycare in Del Ray (Alexandria). Several children are suspected of having H1N1 there too.

Evidently, doctors are no longer testing for H1N1 unless you are admitted to the hospital (at least in VA, so says the pediatrician of one of the suspected cases). So, there is no real way of tracking this influenza except for the gravely ill.

The data on this CDC page conflicts wtih the data I read on the states public health pages, but could be due to different reporting dates.

Officials are being overly cautious and recommending a 7-day incubation period, even though they aren't sure exactly how long incubation could last. The seasonal flu's incubation period is 2-4 days. According to the Alexandria Health Department, you are contagious beginning 24 hours prior to the onset of symptoms (right, so you find out a day late that you were contagious).

The Health Department also says that children under 5 are at greater risk of developing complications from this influenza, and that you should talk to your pedi about whether an antiviral before the onset of symptoms is warranted.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: H1N1 (swine flu) in Alexandria daycares/preschools

• thanks for posting...I work in Del Ray and live in Burke...my pedi told me they had 40 cases of the flu and not to bring lo in unless really sick...we stayed homeWink
  • imageswtt89:
    my pedi told me they had 40 cases of the flu and not to bring lo in unless really sick...we stayed homeWink

this is also what i'd heard, but our pedi wants to see our son. i'm taking him in this afternoon. he's been coughing for the last several days, but no fever and he doesn't appear to be sick, other than the cough.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • ds had a rash and has bad dry skin...I was being overprotective and he had alot of bug bites...they told me to make sure and put bug spray on him...still learning...he is great though

Hope your LO get feeling better quickly!

• Lindsey--I would be interested to hear what your pedi says about Tomas.  I took Nicholas in last week because of cough and congestion.  The pedi said he had some gunk in the back of his nose, but his lungs sounded clear.  Since then his congestion and coughing has picked up.  We now have a runny, congested nose (all clear) and hacking cough (sometimes it sounds like he's going to cough up his lungs).  Other than the nose and cough he is fine, no temp and acting fine except when I try to wipe his nose.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"