Baby Showers

Drop In Baby Shower Ideas

Has anyone had one of these recently? How did you like it?  I have thrown/been a guest at 2 and really thought they were a great idea! Especially when the guest list is large.  My friends/family are having the shower for me at my own house so that I can show off the nursery and so I don't have to transport a bunch of stuff from another site to my house/upstairs nursery.  Plus we moved about a year ago and I want it to be a sort of "open house" for the new house.

Anyways, I'm looking for ideas of how you did things (i.e., open gifts, length of time etc.). I think they are probably going to do something like 11-2 but we're not sure how to word that it's a drop-in and that it's to show off the nursery. 

Also, do most people recommend that registry locations be kept off an invite????  I've almost always seen it included - but, I honestly don't care if people bring gifts or not.  The way I look at it - I just want to have all my friends and family together for something fun on a Saturday afternoon (plus it's an opportunity to eat cake).

Any and all thoughts are appreciated!! Thank you!

Re: Drop In Baby Shower Ideas

• imageSeminoleMate:

Also, do most people recommend that registry locations be kept off an invite????  I've almost always seen it included - but, I honestly don't care if people bring gifts or not.  The way I look at it - I just want to have all my friends and family together for something fun on a Saturday afternoon (plus it's an opportunity to eat cake).

If you dont' care about gifts and don't want people to feel they have to bring one, then don't call it a shower.

A shower literally means to "shower the mom-to-be w/ gifts". 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I got an invite once for a "Come and Go" shower. I found that wording to be incredibly tacky... like they wanted me to come, drop off the gift, and go.  That said, I'd be careful how you word it. Maybe an "Open House" would be better?? I don't know as I'm not really a fan of these type of showers, to be honest (just doesn't seem very personable to me).

As for the registry info... yes, on a regular shower invite, it's perfectly fine to put the registry info on there (but again, on a Come and Go or Open House shower, that's where my personal issues come to play with thinking that you just want me to come, drop off gift, and go)

GL!

• Loading the player...
  • I've not heard of these kind of showers, but I think maybe this would be a great idea for AFTER the baby is born. That way people can come see the little one, see the nursery, bring a gift if they choose and then go. If someone's throwing, they'll be there to provide a small snack or whatever to the guest. Also, I know whenever someone I know has a baby I have a hard time deciding on when to go visit due to nap schedules,etc. This would be a perfect way for people to know they are welcome to come see the little one and not be a bother.
  • Ditto others that this sounds more like a "Meet the baby" party or an "Open House" where gifts aren't required but frequently bought anyway. If it's really a shower that's done at your house, then just call it a shower, include the registry info, and it's fine that it's at your house for you to show off your nursery (just don't be hosting it yourself - a friend or family member other than DH should be the host). If you really want it to be a mix, mingle, come and go as you please event, I'd call it an open house and NOT put any registry info on the invite.
  • I've been to several of these showers.  My girlfriends chose to throw an open house shower bc they live in small towns where everyone is invited.  Where they live it is not uncommon to have these kind of showers and the party usually lasted four about 3-4 hours.  Usually gifts are opened in the middle and the cake is also cut around that time too.  The food is also buffet style and is available the entire time.  I actually like these showers when the guest list is huge.  That way guests arrive when they can, and I have found that I can actually talk to the mom to be a bit more.  I never put the registry info on the invite (although I don't think it is tacky if you do).  I just insert little cards with the information on it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've never been to one of these, and it does sound more like a meet the baby party. But I think it could be cool, just be careful on the wording, like pp said. I don't like the "Come & Go" wording. The only question I have is, if you plan to do it btwn 11 & 2, that's not really a long time for a party anyway so why not just have it be a regular shower? Most people will stay for a few hours anyway even if they're just dropping by.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"