D.C. Area Babies

Shady Grove Adventist Hospital- c/s stay?

I am likely going to switch to a doctor who delivers at Shady Grove after we move to Bethesda in a few weeks.  Does anyone know how long they typically keep you for a c/s (assuming no complications), or does it depend on the insurance (I have Aetna, if that matters/anyone knows their deal)?  Anything else anyone could tell me about the hospital/maternity/L&D would be great, too.  (I know I'll be having a repeat c/s.) 

Or does anyone have any last minute opinions on why I should suck it up and continue seeing my current OB in DC (schlepping 45 minutes each way w/ a 2.5y/o and paying crazy parking rates) who delivers at Sibley? 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Shady Grove Adventist Hospital- c/s stay?

• I delivered on a Wednesday and was released on Saturday.  Scheduled c/s.  I really like Shady Grove and it is 2 miles from my house.  I also love my OB/GYN practice (CWC, Drs. Margolis and Apgar).  I had no complaints at all.  I saw several lactation consultants and the nurses were great.  I delivered before the mother/baby suites opened up, so I can just assume it has gotten better. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I just had my repeat c/s there on April 15th.  I went in on Wed and they released me on Sunday, but my docs approved the extra day stay (I had a really low blood count so they offered me the option of an extra night).

The new wing is really nice and I liked all my nurses and anesthesia guy.  My only complaint was that they only took the baby the first night after my c/s and the nursery is only open 11PM to 7AM but they only take them to weight them at one point in the middle of the night.  This kind of sucked because my DH had to go home and be with the toddler at night so I was all alone with the baby a lot of the time.  When I delievered at Montgomery General last time they would take the baby for me at night and bring her back for her feedings so I could get some rest.

• Loading the player...
  • As I recall, under federal law, you basically get 96 hours post-section, unless your doctor/midwife (not the hospital) decides you can leave earlier (the technical way they do it is to say that an insurance co. cannot restrict your length of hospital stay to less than 96 hours for a c-section and 48 hours for vaginal birth).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I ended up having to stay for 2 weeks after my c/s through a string of bad luck but I have to say that the L&D nurses saved my life not once but twice (when I arrived and 24 hours after I delivered) by being knowledgable and quick acting (I had HELLP at 32 weeks and had no idea what was happening...I just showed up at L&D screaming on the floor b/c my liver was pushed into my lungs). I had complications (massive hematomas, caught c.diff) and I had my own nurse for the 4 days they kept me on L&D (they didn't want to move me to another unit b/c I we all got attached to each other). It was pretty amazing to be in a hospital that busy and have 1:1 nursing care. I actually made a really good friend there...the nurse who saved my life when I arrived is a good friend still. The nurses advocated for me to get the tests I needed, the best phlebotomosts, etc. They also saved my son's life by recognizing I need to deliver immediately.

For what its worth, the c/s was by far the easiest part of those 2 weeks. It was over in a flash!

I was transferred to the Mother/Baby Unit on the 5th day...the nurses there are iffy but by that point you won't really need them for much (they were incapable of caring for me...they ended up transferring me to Med/Surg which wasn't so great either). Anyway, the L&D nurses still came to visit me in all the other units and again when my son ended up in the PICU at 6 weeks they would come keep me company. I can't say enough good things about L&D.

If you have any specific questions, let me know. I was a patient there for 2 weeks, my son spent 4 weeks in the NICU and then 2 weeks in the PICU so I probably know more about Shady Grove than any person ever should...that's essentially where I spent my summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"