D.C. Area Babies

would this be covered under FMLA?

So, the daycare drama continues.... I have to pick up DS in Rockville by 6pm. The problem is I work on Capitol Hill and would need to leave by 5pm. This is only temporary (maybe 2-3 months, depending on the estimates we received) until a downtown daycare opens up and I would only need to do this two days a week. In theory, could I use the rest of my FMLA to cover the 2 hours a week I would need to pick up DS?

Also- if you've managed to swing a flexible work schedule to accomodate day care pick up or drop offs, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: would this be covered under FMLA?

• Where I work, our FMLA policy specifies that you can use FMLA hours for a more flexible schedule for caregiver purposes. I'd start with your employee handbook or HR rep to confirm.

For flexible schedules, is it done at your job? Is there a policy laid out where you can fill out a form and request this from your supervisor? If it's informal, can you talk to someone who works the schedule you'd like to work about how they handled the request? If neither, I'd start with HR or your supervisor for a conversation.

I'm negotiating working reduced hours and changing my arrival time now, and I spoke with my supervisor and filled out a form from HR. Also, I started a thread on this last week here. GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I hope our FMLA policy is that flexible. I never thought I would need to use it in a case like this so I didn't really check, but I guess that's the joys of being a new parent. My employer will not be too thrilled at my leaving early as our working hours are pretty much set in stone. I'm going to talk to my boss to see what can be worked out (after I talk to HR of course!). I figured if my leaving early could qualify for FMLA, it would give be better leverage. oh well.....fingers crossed! 

• Loading the player...
  • I am not sure about FMLA but I justed started a new job and I am finding myself in a similar situation. I have my DD in a home daycare and I have to pick her up at 5:30. I have been late every day to pick her up and my provider is not happy about that. Not to mention I am late to work everyday because I have yet to find a schedule that works for us (getting the baby up and fed) in the morning. I spoke to my boss and HR and we worked out a schedule that gets me at work at a decent time and out in time to pick up DD. I felt aweful being so nit picky about it especially as a new hire but he understood.

Good luck!

• I was interested in your question because I was also considering trying to use FMLA to work 7 hour work days for a few weeks after going back to work so that I could go to the daycare at lunch time and feed the baby. Here's what it says on the DOL factsheet found here:

https://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs28.pdf 

"Under some circumstances, employees may take FMLA leave intermittently ? taking leave in separate blocks of time for a single qualifying reason ? or on a reduced leave schedule ? reducing the employee?s usual weekly or daily work schedule. When leave is needed for planned medical treatment, the employee must make a reasonable effort to schedule treatment so as not to unduly disrupt the employer?s operation. If FMLA leave is for birth and care, or placement for adoption or foster care, use of intermittent leave is subject to the employer's approval."

So - looks like it's subject to the employer's approval.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have a similar commute...

Here's what we do -

First, I was able to change my work schedule to 8:15-5:00.  G's work schedule is 9-6.

In the morning, G drops me off at the metro around 7:30 - I'm at work sometime between 8-8:15.  He then takes the baby to the daycare and parks at the (glenmont) metro. He takes the metro to work, and is there by 9.

I leave work at 5 on the dot.  Metro to Glenmont, get the car, drive to the daycare - Get to the daycare at about 5:50.  I then go pick G up at the Wheaton metro and we go home.

Can you see if it would be possible to have one person do the pick-up, one do the drop off?

The other schedule we were considering, is having both of us start a little later, taking turns leaving at 5pm.  I'd do pick up 2-3 days a week, and he would do pick up 2-3 days a week.

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"